Hello!

Say Hi and introduce yourself to the forum here!

Moderator: pcwzrd13

gameaddict30
noob

Hello!

Post#1 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:27 am

Hello Dreamcast-Talk community! I'm Kevin, or as I'm mostly known online, gameaddict30. I've been a Dreamcast fan since its release, and lately this month I've set it up to connect to the lnternet.

Outside of playing video games, I like to do some software dev, web design/dev and art in my spare time. In fact, while I did not make it myself (ElectrumCube did!), my avatar is of my Chao character which I mostly use as my persona online. Nowadays I'm usually a PC person with the many games I have in my Steam library, but sometimes like to do some console gaming too. The Dreamcast, however, held a special place in my heart and was one of the biggest staples of my childhood.

It's a long story, but when I was a little child I was curious of how the Dreamcast worked online. Although I knew I probably couldn't at the time (despite having dial-up ISP), I made certain decisions like getting a copy of Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, a copy of the PlanetWeb browser, and even acquiring a Dreamcast keyboard peripheral!

All still work today except my copy of PSOv2, which has been badly scratched due to my poor habits with handling compact discs at the time. Thus, when I try to boot it up, it gets stuck before the title screen! :[ I am considering replacing my current copy for this Christmas though. Another consideration I have is replacing the internal clock battery inside the Dreamcast, as I find myself setting the date and time on the console a little more than usual, even when the console is plugged in.

That being said, I knew that private servers for Phantasy Star Online were running for a long while, but I wasn't fully aware of the DreamPi/PC-DC method of connecting to the Internet until last month (November). Knowing that there is still an easy way to go online with the Dreamcast modem was a relief, especially knowing how the expensive the BBA is and how it supports very few games that can still be played online to this day. Not to mention I have a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B, so the thought already sounded good.

So after one hectic Fall semester, I got the line voltage inducer built, obtained a Dell NW147 USB modem (after going through the trouble of trying to get a softmodem to work), loaded DreamPi onto my SD card and fired my Raspberry Pi up. Then, uala! It actually works! I also registered on Dreamcast Now so anyone can see whether I'm online through there. I also got a copy of ChuChu Rocket, so I'm ready for the most part. :> I was also going to get a new copy of PSOv2, but figured I should wait until I find myself invested in the online experience. Maybe I will get it sooner since 'tis the season. ;o

TL;DR Hi forum, I'm gameaddict30! I like to write code, play video games, and art. I've been a long-time fan of the Dreamcast and have always wanted to go online with it. This year and month I just managed to get online and I now have a game that I can play online with.

To be honest, I don't browse forums much in general but I can definitely see myself dropping by here more often, especially if I want to schedule a game session or join an online event. I'll try to post around here as much as I can, but I can't make any guarantees. Other than that you can find me elsewhere as listed on my profile (I still need to populate it a little more).

Other than that, I hope to have fun here, make some friends and become part of this welcoming community for a good while. :>

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Hello!

Post#2 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:30 am

Welcome to DC-Talk! I hope you enjoy your time here. Feel free to ask questions as the community will try to assist you as best as we can.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#3 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:11 am

welcome!!!!

hope to see you online soon!!!!

you should look for ives pso optimised version with server patch. it reall cuts the loasmd times down. thats what i use. even though i have a good copy of pso v2.

gameaddict30
noob

Post#4 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:27 pm

Thank you both for welcoming me here. :>

The-Amazing-Mr_V wrote:you should look for ives pso optimised version with server patch. it reall cuts the loasmd times down. thats what i use. even though i have a good copy of pso v2.

Oh man, thanks very much for mentioning that! I got around to reading the replies this morning and I went hunting for the latest version of Ives's PSO disc image after that. I burned it onto a blank CD-R using DiscJuggler and it works very well! I found myself smiling like an idiot after I finally got online with PSOv2 for the first time. I even still have the serial number and access key from the original disc on me, so that made the setup simpler.

I even managed to get in touch with someone on the ship Altimira not too long ago for a few runs, though I was many levels behind. I've learned a lot though (even more than playing solo mode alone, lol), and may do solo missions more often to bring myself up to a reasonable level threshold for online play. The community there is very newb-friendly, which I appreciate. :>

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#5 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:20 pm

im glad everything is working for you! every one around here is very nice and helpful! i hope to see you on pso soon!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#6 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:47 pm

Looking forward to seeing you online!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Chris1965
noob

Post#7 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:37 am

Hi guys. Didn't want to start a new thread for this as I think It's an easy answer. What fuse does the PSU take on a dreamcast and where can I get one? Happy Christmas!!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#8 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:18 am

PSU uses a 2-Amp fuse. You can get these at you local hardware, electronic or maybe even a hardware store for cheap. I do not know if the UK has any other source, "if" you live in the UK or other non-North American place. Hopefully, this is the only thing your Dreamcast needs, good luck.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Return to “New Member Introduction”