New-ish!

Say Hi and introduce yourself to the forum here!

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Smokey
lithium

New-ish!

Post#1 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:17 pm

Hey folks! I made an account back in 2013 apparently but haven't posted yet! Today I finally brought my Dreamcast back to life by upgrading it to HD visuals! Picked up a Retrobit VGA cable, HDMI upscaler and a audio converter for the VGA cable all for $50 on Amazon! (don't worry, it wasn't that crappy Tomee cable/box :P)

Absolutely blown away at how good the Dreamcast looks and sounds now! (I was using AV cables and more recently RF due to my tv setup, I know! :P)

Really pleased with it :D

Anyway! I'm new, and I'm a Dreamcast addict! :D

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: New-ish!

Post#2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:19 am

Congrats on your first post! :)

Smokey wrote:(don't worry, it wasn't that crappy Tomee cable/box :P)

Don't believe the haters. The Tomee cable works perfectly fine. I've had mine for years and haven't had a single issue. I've owned a few different cables and boxes and they all give identical results as far as picture quality goes. The only real benefit you'll get from a more expensive box is additional outputs.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Smokey
lithium

Post#3 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:34 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:Congrats on your first post! :)

Smokey wrote:(don't worry, it wasn't that crappy Tomee cable/box :P)

Don't believe the haters. The Tomee cable works perfectly fine. I've had mine for years and haven't had a single issue. I've owned a few different cables and boxes and they all give identical results as far as picture quality goes. The only real benefit you'll get from a more expensive box is additional outputs.

Ahh okay. :) The retro-bit cable was the same price as the tomeee cables and I figured retro-bit was a better accepted name so went with those. :) As for the upscaler, I figured the more expensive orei was the better purchase after reading reviews for a few of them. :) The audio jack adapter being only $5 made that choice for me as I'm a firm believer of "You get what you pay for" in cases like this. :) Just happy my DC is now in HD! :D

I would love to get it online but I don't have a broadband adapter :( Is there a way to get wifi using the built-in 56k modem and raspberry pi? probably not.......

The problem is my router is in another room from my Dreamcast.....so I'd need the BBA.....I'm also not too tech savvy when it comes to things like dealing with boards and such......can't solder, etc. So i'd need a DreamPi thing already pre-built....setting up the config in a command line shouldn't be too difficult for me though with instructions. :)

MrBlueSky
fire

Post#4 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:17 am

Smokey wrote:
I would love to get it online but I don't have a broadband adapter :( Is there a way to get wifi using the built-in 56k modem and raspberry pi? probably not.......

Well that's what I'm currently using. A Raspberry Pi Zero, connected through wifi to my box. Works very good. Just follow pc's tutorial ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1kcZ_A92BY
Dreamcast Now: The Blues Brothers

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:21 am

Smokey wrote:I would love to get it online but I don't have a broadband adapter :( Is there a way to get wifi using the built-in 56k modem and raspberry pi? probably not.......

The problem is my router is in another room from my Dreamcast.....so I'd need the BBA.....I'm also not too tech savvy when it comes to things like dealing with boards and such......can't solder, etc. So i'd need a DreamPi thing already pre-built

I sell everything you need in the Dreamcast Live Shop including complete kits. The Pi 3 has built-in Wi-Fi so that would be the ideal one for you. As far as setting it up, I'll be happy t walk you through it. :)
PSO Characters:

Smokey
lithium

Post#6 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:53 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Smokey wrote:I would love to get it online but I don't have a broadband adapter :( Is there a way to get wifi using the built-in 56k modem and raspberry pi? probably not.......

The problem is my router is in another room from my Dreamcast.....so I'd need the BBA.....I'm also not too tech savvy when it comes to things like dealing with boards and such......can't solder, etc. So i'd need a DreamPi thing already pre-built

I sell everything you need in the Dreamcast Live Shop including complete kits. The Pi 3 has built-in Wi-Fi so that would be the ideal one for you. As far as setting it up, I'll be happy t walk you through it. :)

So with the full kit for like $100 would I need the broadband adapter or no?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#7 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Smokey wrote:So with the full kit for like $100 would I need the broadband adapter or no?

Nope. DreamPi is an alternative to the broadband adapter and uses the standard Dreamcast 56k modem.
PSO Characters:

Smokey
lithium

Post#8 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:12 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Smokey wrote:So with the full kit for like $100 would I need the broadband adapter or no?

Nope. DreamPi is an alternative to the broadband adapter and uses the standard Dreamcast 56k modem.

Oh great! So with all the stuff you have for sale there, I can set it up and have my router in 1 room and my Dreamcast in another, correct?

Does the DreamPi need to be directly connected to the router or just the 56k modem port on the Dreamcast? :)

I'd like to know exactly how I'd set it up with the console and router in 2 separate rooms and if it'll work with my setup before making the purchase if possible. :)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#9 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Smokey wrote:Oh great! So with all the stuff you have for sale there, I can set it up and have my router in 1 room and my Dreamcast in another, correct?

Yeah, the Pi will connect to Wi-Fi so you can have your router anywhere as long as it's not too far away to get a signal. The Pi will need to be near your Dreamcast since you need to run a phone cable (the line voltage inducer) from the USB modem on the Pi to your Dreamcast modem.

The setup looks like this:

DreamPi.jpg
PSO Characters:

Smokey
lithium

Post#10 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Does the Pi need AC power? because I have too many systems hooked up atm and don't have any power outlets left in my surge protector, so if the Pi needs AC power, that could be an issue.......

Return to “New Member Introduction”