[CANCELED] OutbreakX

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: [CANCELED] OutbreakX

Post#141 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:32 am

A real shame you gave it up, specially considering how much work you already put into it and how lond the community has been waiting for a full blown 3D game...folks almost literally kill each other over getting their hands on a new indie game these days. If you think it is silly making games for a 20 year old machine, tell that to the folks who are still making Mega Drive & PCE games...anyway, you'll have you reasons and I wish you good luck
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#142 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:04 am

Sorry to hear your project didn't work out the way you wanted it to. Looks like you had something unique going. I wish you the best in your new project, whatever it may be.

Something I've never understood about programmers that I'd like someone to shed light on... Why do so many programmers who quit a certain project decide destroy all files and source code of something they worked on? I've known musicians to do the same. I'm not a "creator" so I've never understood this idea. A half finished idea is never bad thing IMHO.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

kazade
Developer

Post#143 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:06 am

As a full-time developer and open-source contributor - it makes no sense to me either. Why would someone destroy something that they'd created if it could be useful? Why create if you don't want the attribution?

I mean, I know that 111 did some really cool stuff with modifier volumes that would be useful to other developers, it's a great shame that that work was destroyed rather than shared.

Roel
Developer

Post#144 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:20 pm

Nico0020 wrote:Something I've never understood about programmers that I'd like someone to shed light on... Why do so many programmers who quit a certain project decide destroy all files and source code of something they worked on? I've known musicians to do the same. I'm not a "creator" so I've never understood this idea. A half finished idea is never bad thing IMHO.

I don't think all that many programmers would ever do something so rash and irrational, but yes, some have been known to do this. I've never done this myself, and to the best of my knowledge, neither have any of my coder friends. Nevertheless, I do have some ideas about what causes this behaviour.

Firstly, the nature of coding itself. It can require a lot of mental energy, especially if you're building something as complex as a complete game engine (or if you're just not very good at it). Concentrating on a complex, logical task for unnaturally long periods of time is exhausting and certainly not for everyone.

Secondly, lack of human interaction. Of course I'm not saying that all programmers are socially inept hermits, but it's a simple fact that programming is difficult to combine with an active social life. Isolation can result in mental problems such as depression.

Thirdly, bugs (whether caused by oneself or by the compiler, OS, libraries, third party code, etc) can be extremely frustrating. While most are easily fixed, others may drive even the most experienced programmers to the boiling point.

I can totally see how these things can be enough to make some people crack. And when that happens, destroying the source code - counter-productive though it may be - probably will make them feel much better, at least for a moment. Suddenly they don't have to deal with those bugs any more, those thousands of lines of code, those long "to do" lists... What a relief! I still wouldn't recommend it though.

Also some people are just drama queens.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#145 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:58 pm

Seems like an overreaction. Project looked good. So you hit a stumbling block - it happens. Was the engine inefficient or needing a total rewrite or something?
Anyhow good luck

KGRAMR
undertow

Post#146 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:38 pm

Too bad it was canned :( Oh well...
Now You're Playing with Power
Do The Math
Genesis Does What Nintendon't

Developer

Post#147 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:16 am

-----------------------------
In case anyone is interested, two early snapshots have been found, see the first post for download link.
Obviously those builds are much worse than the later ones (there is no sound, shadows are missing, only one stage per build, controls and collisions are not polished enough, framerate and drawing distance is terrible etc.), but it should be bearable enough to give you an overall idea of what could have been.

To answer some possible questions:
Q: Is this project really dead?
A: Yes.

Q: Is source code really lost?
A: Yes (mostly)

Q: Will it ever be resurrected?
A: Most likely not. But who knows? One thing for sure - no way in hell I am touching KOS again. Only official SDKs.

... and I apologize for acting like a dick to some people earlier.

Ok, thanks, bye.

Shuouma
Developer

Post#148 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:31 pm

Nice, thnx for the info

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#149 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm glad you posted again. That project looked awesome. I hope you have another project in mind.

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#150 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:44 pm

@111 windows ce sdk its pretty much install as administrator and you're good to go

you can even easily make a PC (windows x86) counterpart since WCE is just subsets of the full x86 WinAPI

judging from what you've made on KOS, you'd probably make something truly impressive with WCE directX. i do belive it is a subset of DX8

you can debug with a retail unit using WinDBG and a coders cable, though its not as extensive debugging as owning a katana. better than nothing
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Return to “New Games”