[CANCELED] OutbreakX

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Developer

Re: OutbreakX (possible new game)

Post#101 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:16 am

Omnibot2000 wrote:Yes, I'm not a coder but as 111 confirmed, it must be far more comfortable to develop a 3D game with the SDK.

I would not say it's much easier though, especially if you don't have a devkit.
If it was not for Ninja library (think of it as a "3d engine") + content export tools, than I would not even bother.
(also, I did not do much with it yet, just played a little with included examples and tools)

So it seems possible to max out the hardware using KOS, but it is far less convenient.

The main problem here is If something is missing\broken, than you're mostly on your own with fixing\implementing that. But if you are a wizard who can implement everything by yourself (that obviously does not apply to me) within a reasonable timeframe, then sure, you'll have no problems with KOS.

There is one KOS-based title that looks compareable to the best looking commercial FPS though:
http://youtu.be/B3E3RSC8Tdg

well, there you have it, a dynamic lighting (I'm sure it's a custom implementation, because KGL lighting is somewhat slow and buggy) + shadow maps. I wonder how well would it work with outdoor levels though.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#102 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:26 pm

How has the lighting battle going?
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Developer

Post#103 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:55 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:How has the lighting battle going?

Honestly I would not say I really care about having a dynamic lighting in the game, because:
1) I think everything looks fine as it is.
2) For now, It's more trouble than it worth it. Lighting is only needed for active objects, not for entire stage. That's how it's done in most DC games anyway. I'll consider all of this for future revisions of my framework.

I'll probably add some fake "lighting" using gradient overlays like this:

Other than that (and "shadow regions": viewtopic.php?f=53&t=8500&start=80#p92389), everything else will be static or should I say "baked".

For stage shadows, I'll use semi-transparent models like this:
(^ just a preview, it will look better later)
That's a really cheap trick for sure, but this way I can save a lot of memory for other textures and the end result is somewhat decent in my opinion.
----------------
also, some bad news: I'll have to move to another flat soon (which I still have to find first), so I'll be unable to work on the game for some time.
The good news though is that something really cool might be revealed soon.

That's all I can say for now.
Thanks for you continued support and interest!

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#104 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:41 am

You should make another video before you have to move, very impressive
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#105 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:18 pm

Yeah, I am pretty happy with how far you are already able to get our of the system and the level of detail you have on objects and the character it already very impressive.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#106 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:16 pm

I am pleased as well, I just thought you "might" be having issues, plus I posted to keep this topic up high in the forum list...it disappeared briefly from all 3 "Recent Topics" lists.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Developer

Post#107 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:19 am

DR TEAMCAST wrote:You should make another video before you have to move, very impressive

not gonna happen, unfortunately. I've already left the place.
Not that I have enough content worth showing anyway. But as I said earlier, something special is coming soon.

Anthony817 wrote:Yeah, I am pretty happy with how far you are already able to get our of the system and the level of detail you have on objects and the character it already very impressive.

it's still surprising to hear something like that, thanks.
Everything I've shown so far is an extremely early WIP placeholder content (aside from those buildings maybe) that does not really represent an art direction I'm trying to achieve. You'll see what I mean later.

Bob Dobbs wrote:I am pleased as well, I just thought you "might" be having issues,

well, I'm still testing various things, but I would say that the only real issue so far is a poor framerate. I know what causes it, so it should not be much of a problem to deal with this. Still, you should not expect more than 20-30fps average.

plus I posted to keep this topic up high in the forum list...it disappeared briefly from all 3 "Recent Topics" lists.

I'm not sure if it is a good idea to constantly remind about this project (for now at least), but thanks.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#108 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:54 pm

I think you should aim for 30fps minimum. Anything as low as 20fps is unplayable for many. Ideally 60fps is always nice, but this is a console so we understand most games will run at 30fps or be locked at it. Even on PC I find 30fps completely acceptable. But if something gets super slow it is often too much. 20fps average doesn't sound like fun. Although I remain optimistic as this is still in development and I hope you can get the frame rate sorted out.

Developer

Post#109 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:48 am

Anthony817 wrote:I think you should aim for 30fps minimum. Anything as low as 20fps is unplayable for many. Ideally 60fps is always nice, but this is a console so we understand most games will run at 30fps or be locked at it. Even on PC I find 30fps completely acceptable. But if something gets super slow it is often too much. 20fps average doesn't sound like fun. Although I remain optimistic as this is still in development and I hope you can get the frame rate sorted out.

all I can say is that achieving stable 30fps is really hard without significantly reducing graphics quality (mostly related to number of triangles per model), which is not an option for me. But we'll see.

============================================
============================================

anyway, bump because of this:
https://pp.vk.me/c836238/v836238223/150 ... ruGB8k.jpg

new character design by ICEMBL\FroSTDS (an amazingly talented artist I'm collaborating with). Still in a WIP state, but close to final.
This also marks yet another change of direction, so no more "sonic-esque" route (mostly).

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#110 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:49 pm

looks awesome 8-) 8-)
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Return to “New Games”