Xenocider/Project Q

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

krssn
Metallic

Re: Xenocider/Project Q

Post#201 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:15 am

My advice. Take at least two weeks off to clear your mind not thinking about the project.

After that you still have all the time to sit down with the team and rethink your strategy.

And remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger... ;)

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Post#202 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:06 pm

I'm pretty surprised nobody wanted those xenocider themed dreamcasts those would have been good collectors items for sure

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#203 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:41 pm

:cry:

stachlj958
lithium

Post#204 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:52 pm

What are you doing with the game now? I'd still love to see it on the dreamcast, and if that's not possible, I'll still get it somwhere else.

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#205 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:18 pm

stachlj958 wrote:What are you doing with the game now? I'd still love to see it on the dreamcast, and if that's not possible, I'll still get it somwhere else.

He's rethinking his plan. The whole Kickstarter thing worked on paper and not in practice. There were so many things wrong with the idea that I refrained from ranting on this thread which would quite possibly into a flame war, but in all seriousness give it about 2-3 months and then maybe resurrect this thread because by then there might be a plan B. Who knows maybe it would happen sooner.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#206 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:18 am

Real big shame that this project didn't get the funding it deserved, especially considering how this development is a total game changer for the Dreamcast indie scene. I went all in and even used 2 accounts to back it on Kickstarter. Hopefully this project will still see the light of day somehow.

I wonder what made Dreamcast fans hold out on this one, if you look at these successful Kickstarter campaigns:
Alice Dreams Tournament - €28,101
Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs - $96,591
Elysian Shadows - $185,322
Pier Solar HD - $231,370
Redux: Dark Matters - $53,121

Then the $92,000 target for Xenocider isn't that far fetched. Looking at the awesome PC game 'Racing Apex' which had it's campaign around the same time failed even harder, perhaps it's just the timing?

To everyone at Retro Sumus, keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing Xenocider getting a Dreamcast release in the future and giving us the players something ground breaking and awesome to play :)

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#207 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:44 am

These guys should talk to Falco again from ES. He has talked a lot before how managing a kickstarer is a fulltime / overtime job.

You have to basically BEG media outlets to cover your game. You have to reach out to as many communities as possible to get them interested in your game. They did a wonderful job of communicating with their fans, but they really need to find a way to get new fans from the PC and DS crowd. As there are a lot of us DC users, but we need the supplementing backing from PC gamers.

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Post#208 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:07 pm

There is a kickstarter for a another dreamcast game right know called shadow gangs but its not a 3d game , I think less people have taken notice of it compared to xenocider as the creator didn't orginally intend it to be a dreamcast game .I hope it doesn't fail as well , two failed kickstarters for new dreamcast games can't be a good thing

http://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vie ... =10&t=8330

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... on-revival

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#209 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:03 pm

I didn't even know of that Kickstarter

VasiliyRS
Uber

Post#210 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:34 am

DCGX wrote:I didn't even know of that Kickstarter

You know you just pointed a problem i wanted to post about.
My post below is my personal view and i dont want to say anything bad about anyone.
I think Xenocider needed more promotion before starting ks i mean do you remember Elysian Shadows ks campain and what they have done before and during ks ? That was a way to success. They hardly got any sleep time during all that time.
You have to reach out to as many communities as possible to get them interested in your game.

Yes and do it before ks launches. Onine media, magazines, communities, forums, fb groups, do twitch streams etc.

The goal was even below what we calculated the game would cost us, in terms of work hours. We are talking about hundreds of original 3D models, 100% original 10 stage designs (not just 5 as many classic arcades and other recent indie efforts), mechanics, different environment physics, thousands of textures, and all of that for a 15+ year old console. This is not Unreal Engine, Havok or whatever. If it wasn't a confidential (by a non-disclosure agreement) document, I would gladly share the work hours estimation here (we've always aimed for total transparency, you guys know that already). We decided to price our work hours at $10 and some of us (yours truly) even agreed to work for little to nothing. We knew the game would imply many more work hours and still decided to do it because we love the project, love the console, and loved the idea of bringing something completely new to the scene.

When i read it only one thing come to my mind - how this game didnt get funded?! I think you need to specify it in your future campain. I guess people like when a team will be working on a project as a real job not like a hobby, for me it gives more trust to a project. I think that a fact game is completely made from scratch should be one of things that you need to rely on while promoting the game along with other unique features.

Another thing i would like to suggest is how long funding campain should lasts? Maybe 30 days is not enough, 45, 60 is better or not?
A video... it sounds to me like 'this game is going to be cool. Thank you very much for your support'. Not good to me...
Show more! Yes people's opinions are good thing but it should not take half or more of your video. Show other team members, show how do you create it, tell us about previous work, tell what i quoted above. People like to watch videos.

I wonder what made Dreamcast fans hold out on this one, if you look at these successful Kickstarter campaigns:
Alice Dreams Tournament - €28,101
Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs - $96,591
Elysian Shadows - $185,322
Pier Solar HD - $231,370
Redux: Dark Matters - $53,121

IMHO:
1) Known for many years, many local promotions, it is their second game.
2) Known franchise
3) Falco's charisma :)
4) Expected and trusted
5) Known developers by previous work

Maybe Retro Sumus should slowly develop a game as a hoppy within per example a year and heavy promoting themselves by every ways getting people ready for a funding campain to speed up a development... I really dont know. What i do know KS and a preparation for a KS campain should be part of game creation and be same quality and efforts as you put into your project.

Anyway i believe next time we make this game be more than 100% funded.
I stay with you and next time i promise to help much more.