Cave Story on dreamcast!

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

dark
Shark Patrol

Cave Story on dreamcast!

Post#1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:19 pm

Cave Story, notorious Japanese early 2000s polished indie platformer now available for play on dreamcast? It seems so!

Here is a thread with some news and a link to a bootable CDI image.
http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 4&t=102446

Here is the page for the project. i guess this is an interpreter for the already compiled game files, rather than a port of the (unavailable) source code.
http://sourceforge.net/p/nxdc/wiki/Home/

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: Cave Story on dreamcast!

Post#2 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:14 am

I've been testing this out. It is very playable. The music occasionally skips, but if you turn off the music, the game seems to play pretty much perfect. There is support for saving to the vmu as well. This is pretty awesome. I would love to get a printed cover/insert for this.

A commenter in the dcemulation thread says it crashed for him at a particular point, but I have played beyond that point without any crashes at all.

Here's a fan page with info about the game in case anyone is unfamiliar with it. The game may look simple in still shots, but it has tremendous depth. http://www.cavestory.org/info_about.php

noiseredux
Power Stone

Post#3 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:34 am

that's awesome. I played through Cave Story last year. Seems like a great fit for DC.

monster9000
dark night

Post#4 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:53 am

hey that looks fun

segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

Post#5 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:24 am

I never played it before... played for an hour last night, its an awesome game (really)... its a metroidvania action adventure, with lots of depth! There are some hiccups in framerate when the music plays, but with it turned off it runs silky smooth.. the SFX still play though!

Indiket
Developer

Post#6 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:20 am

What an amazing masterpiece guys, love it!! And what is even more crazy is that the Dreamcast port has been done with libronin, instead of KOS... wow, I thought only SCUMMVM had this honor xD

Lord*Hypnos
MegaDeath

Post#7 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:24 pm

This release was my first introduction to Cave Story. Definitely a fantastic game, especially for homebrew. I'm glad someone ported it to the DC.
Also Known as TheRedFox

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:45 pm

By the way, looks like he updated the port and now it should play a lot more flawlessly with no stuttering. I had no idea it was patched but this is good news!

http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 0#p1037279

Omnibot2000
MegaDeath

Post#9 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:06 pm

Wow, great news! Thanks for sharing!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:21 pm

By the way, in this version you have to configure your controls. Just keep pressing right on the D-Pad to select the options. You might have to press START to bring it up too since A isn't configured yet by default. Also make sure you choose VGA from options too if you wan the best possible picture.

Anyways, not sure if it is due to my DC having GDEmu and being overclocked, but I get an error when trying to load a saved game after dying and the DC resets itself after a screen talking about a fatal error trying to load the save. My VMU is also overclocked the same percentage as my console so no idea why it is having issues.