DC-Talk Addict

Re: Rush Rush Rally Reloaded

Post#31 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:12 am

Haha! So cool man! I want one!! :D

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#32 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:33 am

Not to be a negative nancy, but are those pal cases newly made or just reused? I'm asking because as I was looking at the pictures on their Facebook page, I noticed this:
GB-JP.jpg

One of the disc holding pins/teeth (dunno how its called) is clearly broken on the picture. And I don't recall whether they stated where they got the cases from (they might have, I just can't recall).

Might be just a case of happening to 1 box out of all of them, but it certainly made me raise an eyebrow.

Roel
Developer

Post#33 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:35 pm

You have a keen eye!

I'm should think that this is just an exception, as the cases are not re-used. They aren't exactly new either, though - according to the publisher they're original Dreamcast cases that were never used and have been in storage for many years.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#34 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:12 pm

Roel wrote:You have a keen eye!

I'm should think that this is just an exception, as the cases are not re-used. They aren't exactly new either, though - according to the publisher they're original Dreamcast cases that were never used and have been in storage for many years.

Good to know. Tho to be honest, newly made cases would probably be just as brittle due to the design, so it likely wouldn't make a difference. :P

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#35 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:14 am

I received Rush Rush Rally Reloaded the other day and I'm really enjoying it. One thing I've noticed though is that the Wii version is more zoomed out compared to the DC version. An article on DC Junkyard (linked below) stated "Changed camera distance so you can see more of the road ahead" - is that compared to the original DC release of R4? I assumed it meant that it would be the same as the Wii version. Any insight Senile Team? :)

http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2017/02/rush-rush-rally-reloaded-heads-up-list.html
aka DavidHK on DC games.

Roel
Developer

Post#36 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:35 am

I'm happy to hear that, dave_van_damn!

Yes, that is compared to the original DC release.

The Wii has very different video hardware than the DC. It can simulate low resolutions via an internal scaler, which allowed me to opt for a "fake" resolution of 432x320 pixels (576x320 in widescreen mode), which is 2/3 of the actual resolution output to the screen. This does blur the image slightly, but not too much to be very noticeable. And on interlaced screens it actually improves the image, because the vertical blurring reduces flickering (although the Wii also has an optional built-in filter for this exact purpose).

I could have done the same thing on the DC with two-pass rendering, but that would have had a detrimental effect on the frame rate. Another option is to scale all sprites on the fly, and that's actually what I've done in the new DC version, but not with the same 2/3 ratio. 2/3 produces very noticeable artifacts (or less noticeable artifacts and low framerate again), so I used 1/2 instead. This effectively gives us 320x240, the same resolution as the DC original.

I did tweak the camera settings a bit, so in the new DC version you can see about as much of the road ahead as on the Wii. At the expense, of course, of your view of the road behind you - but that's not as important.

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#37 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:35 am

Roel wrote:I'm happy to hear that, dave_van_damn!

Yes, that is compared to the original DC release.

The Wii has very different video hardware than the DC. It can simulate low resolutions via an internal scaler, which allowed me to opt for a "fake" resolution of 432x320 pixels (576x320 in widescreen mode), which is 2/3 of the actual resolution output to the screen. This does blur the image slightly, but not too much to be very noticeable. And on interlaced screens it actually improves the image, because the vertical blurring reduces flickering (although the Wii also has an optional built-in filter for this exact purpose).

I could have done the same thing on the DC with two-pass rendering, but that would have had a detrimental effect on the frame rate. Another option is to scale all sprites on the fly, and that's actually what I've done in the new DC version, but not with the same 2/3 ratio. 2/3 produces very noticeable artifacts (or less noticeable artifacts and low framerate again), so I used 1/2 instead. This effectively gives us 320x240, the same resolution as the DC original.

I did tweak the camera settings a bit, so in the new DC version you can see about as much of the road ahead as on the Wii. At the expense, of course, of your view of the road behind you - but that's not as important.

Most of that went way over my head, but thank you for your reply and explanation! :D Very much looking forward to Izzy!!!
aka DavidHK on DC games.

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

Post#38 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:22 am

Received my copy RRRR from RushOnGame. Great game!

Roel
Developer

Post#39 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:50 am

Glad you like it! Have fun!

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#40 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:10 am

I really need to buy this game. It is everything I wanted the first edition to be. Thanks for the reminder.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart