Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

mrneo240
Rank 9
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Available to play any game, working on gathering them.

Re: Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post by mrneo240 »

so... the best we have been able to do is get the game to boot up.

it boots and then freezes after first intro video.

No IDEA why it isnt working

mrneo240
Rank 9
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Available to play any game, working on gathering them.

Post by mrneo240 »

Scratch that last post, nailed it!

got screwed over by misremembering how to convert hex<->dec lol!
heres some instructions and the custom "fixed" tool for you.

We have no advice for actually modifying the files, but this will take a working selfboot cdi and let do change stuff and then rebuild a working selfboot cdi.

BTW THE TOOL WILL PROBABLY CRASH OR THROW ERRORS, it was super duper hastily modified and compiled. just always hit "Ignore" or continue. NEVER "Abort" or "Retry"

Code: Select all

░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░▓▓░▒▓█
░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░
█                            _   __           ____  ______                   █
░                           / | / /__  ____  / __ \/ ____/                   ░
▒                          /  |/ / _ \/ __ \/ / / / /                        ▒
█                         / /|  /  __/ /_/ / /_/ / /___                      █
█                        /_/ |_/\___/\____/_____/\____/                      █
░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░
░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓▒░░▒▓██▓Presents

HOW To Repack Metropolis Street Racer.

Needed:
E-MSRUSA.CDI
Daemon Tools (any ver)
Disc Juggler (3, 3.5 or 6)
makesort.exe
mds4dc (custom made for you, by NeoDC)

Steps:
Mount the Image
open isobuster and check LBA for session 2 (11700)
right click track 2 and save "LBA relative path", put the file near makesort.exe,run makesort
right click track 2 "extract from-to" size= 16blocks, type="user data", this is your IP.BIN

Make your file/music changes

run:
mkisofs -C 0,11700 -V MSR_REPACK -G IP.BIN -l  -sort sorttxt.txt -o msr.ISO data

mds4dc -a MSR_REPACK.mds msr.iso

if you want a cdi (you probably do)
mount it in daemon tools
open disc juggler and create new image
IGNORE the offer for disc juggler to fix the image for you, leave everything at defaults.

congrats, enjoy your new music kiddo

Attachments
neodc_msr.rar
(211.28 KiB) Downloaded 443 times

paddyboy
undertow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: pso
pod racer

Post by paddyboy »

Thanks kindly for all the help,the neodc rar is corrupt,msr seems to go from the sega logo to a black screen and shortly after boots the cd player,i don't know where it crashes but possibly is trying to load the intro video and then reboots to the cd menu,i am unsure.

thanks again for all the help,if any of you feel brave in making me a working cdi if i supply the 4 city audio files this would be great however,i dod want to see this working and then go back in and mod it far more with updated adverts and dj stuff

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond
Dreamcast Games you play Online: pso, 4x4, max pool, planet ring, afo, chu chu.... all of them

Post by itsthinkingstill »

Wish i could help more but there is now way i can as i would need to spend a lot of time messing around with it, sorry :(

paddyboy
undertow
pod racer

Post by paddyboy »

this has always bothered me when i extract msr,i get 2 sessions ,session 1 is about 90mb and it has a file structure and some folders and files as well as the intro movie to the game,yes these files are mirrored on session 2 that's about 680mb in size but this file structure of the iso i think must have to be retained.

when i compile and leave out session 1 as described in the tutorial and also have read this elsewhere,if i build the iso again cdi,if i then extract that,there is still a session 1 but it's only kb in size,this means that when i extract and recompile,i am not exactly making it the way it was to begin with,this bothers me and this is why i think it's not working,i tried again following all instructions,used your ip and since using your ip and also the updated code in bin2boot,i am indeed getting a cdi,it's nearly 100mb larger,it boots to a black screen and nulldc crashes.

my question,is there anyway that i can retain the session info in full and only update the audio folder ? hgow important is this 1st session iso ?

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post by mrneo240 »

If you follow the directions given and use the tools given (with finding your own daemon tools, disc juggler and iso buster, makesort can be found in dark falazs selfboot pack k believe)

You don't need anything else and you shouldnt even be getting a 1st session iso.

When we were messing with it we just copied the files from windows explorer to the data folder. Use the mds4dc included and not bin2boot. The commands given and setup are (confirmed) working on Windows XP, win8.1 x64 and Win10 x64.
Attachments
unrar.zip
Same tools new zip
(217.02 KiB) Downloaded 408 times

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post by mrneo240 »

itsthinkingstill wrote:Wish i could help more but there is now way i can as i would need to spend a lot of time messing around with it, sorry :(
Off topic but, I realize we kind of parted ways on the web browser project. Sorry about that. Was the determination made to stick with 2.6 as a base and ignore 3.0?

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post by mrneo240 »

@paddy we also have switched to using demul 100% for testing as it seems to be the most accurate in regards to hardware behavior. (plus way less crashing)

paddyboy
undertow
pod racer

Post by paddyboy »

mrneo240 wrote:@paddy we also have switched to using demul 100% for testing as it seems to be the most accurate in regards to hardware behavior. (plus way less crashing)

Sorry to be a pain in the arse and thank you for all the help ..
i have win xp running and daemontools with msr mounted,i open iso buster but i don't know what the instructions mean by checking the lba - open isobuster and check LBA for session 2 (11700) - how do i do this check ?,i know from making a sort file and how to do that but i don't know at this point what to do exactly,i am at this point and can see session 1 and 2 and both are view able within isobuster,also once the image was mounted,all files can be seen in window explorer.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post by mrneo240 »

Ok, we can offer some live support.

(The LBA check was just to verify that you have the correct file, if you are using E-MSRUSA.cdi aka the Echelon release then don't worry about it because it is the right one)

I'm not at computer so I'm going off memory but you should be able to get it.

In isobuster when you see both sessions open session 2, then right click track 02 and choose info and relative path for the filelist (to make the sort file) and then also right click track 02 and "extract from to" and visually make sure you see the start of the IP.bin header (something like SEGA KATANA and ECHELON and METROPOLIS STREET RACER) and choose size = 16 blocks and user data.

Save that to a folder as IP.bin
Now make a new folder called "data" in that folder and copy everything from the mounted CD to that folder (something like 778 files I think )

It should look like this:
"folder" ->
IP.bin
(Everything in that zip file)
Filelist.txt
Makesort.exe
Sorttxt.txt (or whatever it's called, after running makesort.exe)
data (folder containing all of the files from the CD)