Modding Games and tools.

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

PhiseJr
drunken sailor

Modding Games and tools.

Post#1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:54 am

Ok, so for 6 years there was a team that modded super smash brothers brawl for the wii to change to game overall. properties and gameplay change drastically to a point where it was considered a different game on its own. [Project M] But the game and modded team were instructed to cease and desist. And not too long it did. But my question is how does a team get into a game that deep that they were able to add characters that we're in the game, stages, animations, costumes, colours, game modes, change mechanics features and tools, all without any dev kit or modding software official at least.
The mod didn't boot directly until the latest version right before the cancelling of development. So it would load through a save file with the file saved on an SD card for unmodded wii's (kinda like a boot disc) or if the wii was modded other methods.

Would it be possible to do something like this to games for the DC . heck if we could crack into games like pso, DOA2, outrigger and the list goest on... maybe hack the VMU and make it possible to load saves from an sd card im not too sure if that isn't already possible with the ad card mod.

I've been trying to find tools or more details on how they did this project m mod for the wii. But I could do more digging.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto

Developer

Re: Modding Games and tools.

Post#2 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:19 am

PhiseJr wrote:Would it be possible to do something like this to games for the DC

no, unless someone skilled is wiling to reverse-engineer those games.
That's exactly how "modding tools" are being made, most of the time it takes months (if not years) of really hard unpaid work to at least figure out file formats (without even being credited in the end). It's a deep topic on it's own and I don't think it's worth discussing here.

In other words,
heck if we could crack into games like pso, DOA2, outrigger and the list goest on... maybe hack the VMU and make it possible to load saves from an sd card

forget about that.