Trizeal - High Scores

This forum is for Official Dreamcast Talk Game Contests. All discussion of game contests should be done here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Re: Trizeal - High Scores

Post#41 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:23 am

I give up. I came to the point where trying to improve my score simply isn't fun anymore. Not that getting a bette score isn't possible. But there are some flaws in the game that make getting a higher score not only about skill, but also luck...

Took me over 50 hours to come to that conclusion... :lol:

Not going to go into it right now, but definitely will within the next few days...

I got ridiculously close though Brian.

Less than one per mil away from beating your score. Fuck me... :x
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#42 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Nooooo keep trying! I haven't played in a few days but was hoping I'd get my ass kicked for some motivation :lol:

What parts do you consider luck based? I've never gotten that impression from the game to be honest.

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#43 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:36 pm

First there's the slowdown. In fact, it's not the slowdown that is the problem. It's the constant switching between slowing down and speeding up. It makes the game very unreliable, and anticipation much more difficult. Most noticeable moments are...

- First boss gunspread. There's no telling if the spread is going to be slow or fast...

- Third boss final circular spread. Speed doesn't change from spread to spread, but there's actually fluctuations withing every single spread. It can start slow, then speed up, then slow down again, all within one spread...

- Meteor shower in level four. You know, it took me a while to find out why this part is so difficult. Admittedly, there's a lot going on, and the section is quite long. Still, it's much harder than it should be. Most of the time when I die here it's in one of those split seconds the game speed up considerably. How many times have you been killed by an unexpected super fast bullet from one of those hyperactive little guys?...

Even though slowdown can be a great help in shooters, in this one it's not. A great example of helpful slowdown is Giga Wing 2. When there's a shitload of jewels onscreen, the game slows down significantly, making jewel collection much easier. In Trizeal, it just makes the game unreliable...

Second thing. I can't see you...

Sometimes things happen outside of the screen in this game. This is especially true in level three. Shoot the second big turret -the one on the left- too fast, and chances are you won't even see the extra bomb. Even when you wait long enough to destroy the turret, you're forced to pluck it out of the left corner of your screen. In the same spot, around the time you destroy the left turret, there's a small attack from one or two of those pink ships that shoot a double blade shaped bullet. Killing it will bring you within the 80 percent shootdown range. Not killing it and you will be around 78 percent. There have been instances where I simply could not see that ship anywhere. There have also been instances where I must've shot something at that point without it being visible onscreen, because my shootdown percentage jumped from 78 to 80 percent without any visible reason.

There's also the enemies shooting at you before they are onscreen. But that is not really a bug. More annoying... lol

And then there's the beginning of the game. You push the change weapon button 12 times, you position yourself in the middle with your laser on. The enemies come, and one slips past your laser, even though you did not release the button. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen once every blue moon. Same with the jewels they drop. They can only drop straight down, since you're using the laser. Yet, sometimes they are still out of reach forcing you to go left or right just a little, not to break the chain. Fuck that...

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#44 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:23 pm

Well, the enemies at the beginning that sometimes drop jewels out of reach do so based on your position and the angle they are flying and the point at which they're able to be shot. If you actually watch the scene play out you can understand why it works that way but it actually did confuse me at first as well. As for the other complaints regarding the screen and a zone outside of it, I've never had that problem! I believe this game has multiple screen settings and I think I play in a slightly stretched setting (if I remember correctly) so please give that a try and see if it fixes your issues since I'm not having them at all

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#45 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:09 pm

I'm using monitor type 1. I guess that's what you're using as well?...

So I take it you get a 100 percent shootdown in level 3 every time then?...

Do you use the percentage tracker?...

Hold trans and bomb down and press start at a new game.

Me, I just tried a few more rounds with the same result. Level 3 100 percent is just hit and miss in my case. I simply don't see what I'm missing. At all... :|

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#46 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:12 pm

no I've never tried that! That sounds really cool though but yes I do consistently get 100% at level 3 and level 1 after viewing the strategy guide and learning about the bosses side turrets. Level 3 depends on a perfect game (i.e. max weapon level throughout). I'm using whatever the second option is I believe. It basically just makes the picture bigger, I figured it was simply stretching the picture but maybe it actually shows you more of the game. As for slowdown I see your point but for some reason its never really affected my gameplay

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#47 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 pm

BrianC wrote:no I've never tried that! That sounds really cool though but yes I do consistently get 100% at level 3 and level 1 after viewing the strategy guide and learning about the bosses side turrets. Level 3 depends on a perfect game (i.e. max weapon level throughout). I'm using whatever the second option is I believe. It basically just makes the picture bigger, I figured it was simply stretching the picture but maybe it actually shows you more of the game. As for slowdown I see your point but for some reason its never really affected my gameplay

Well, I still don't get it. All weapons are maxed out, and I'm using the spread shot most of the time.

It's just not happening... lol

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#48 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:25 pm

hmmm thats really fucking weird, I could probably post a video using my cell phone but expect it to look like ass!

ahhh shit, I can't find a way to position the phone since my tv sits up a little high. I might try emulation and some pc recording software but I know im going to have trouble with the terrible d-pad on my 360 controller lol

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#49 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Damn, I've spent this whole time trying to get it to work in an emulator and no luck. Best I could do was game without bullets. And fraps was acting all weird and being my first time using it I had no clue how to keep it recording. balls. Maybe there's a perfect vid from youtube?

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#50 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:28 pm

BrianC wrote:Damn, I've spent this whole time trying to get it to work in an emulator and no luck. Best I could do was game without bullets. And fraps was acting all weird and being my first time using it I had no clue how to keep it recording. balls. Maybe there's a perfect vid from youtube?

Game without bullets?...

That doesn't sound right... :lol:

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I think I still may be taking that left turret out too fast. I tried waiting a little longer this time, and those pink ships with blade bullets popped up eventually, as to where they don't seem to pop up at all when I take that turret out too fast. Still not sure if that's the problem. I'll have to try a little longer to see if that solution is consistent. I did get a 100 percent shootdown on that run...

It might also explain why I could get a 100 percent shootdown before, when I was still playing shittier than I am now. Needed more time to kill stuff. Resulting in those enemies popping up most of the time...

I think it's a bit like those bosses. Not destroying the cannons on the level 1 boss before you take out the centre results in a less than 100 percent shootdown. Killing the turrets too fast in stage 3 results in a less than 100 percent shootdown due to some enemies not appearing. But like I said, this is still speculation on my part. I'll let you know once I find out for sure...