Lindbergh's successor to be annouced very soon?!

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012

Moderator: pcwzrd13

CruSega
Doom

Re: Lindbergh's successor to be annouced very soon?!

Post by CruSega »

Hiryosuke wrote:Sega has those arcade units with glasses free displays don't they? It would make sense it would be an arcade release and 3ds seems like the easiest platform to push anything 3d...it would be interesting to see sega go back to their roots of adapting arcade games for console...especially in the states where arcades r all but dead for the most part...
That's the problem for Sega-arcades are dead in America. So whatever gem they make, nobody is going to know or get a chance to even see it. If these games are released for a new Sega console, they would mean nothing to the average American gamer.

SEGA-TUDE
dirty sailor

Post by SEGA-TUDE »

used to have little arcade places around here but they closed down like a couple of years ago. the only places i can find now are game works, david busters. and enchanted castle that still have arcades. i loved going out to arcade places but i just don't have the money to do that any more. alot of people don't go out and do things as much anymore cause of the economy and money problems. so alot of people in america just stick with buying a console.
SEGA DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T

Logic
core

Post by Logic »

There used to be 3 Gameworks centers in my state, now there are none, and the website only reports 6 active locations in the entire US. Truly sad as I thoroughly enjoyed every trip to gameworks, even if There were few new games actually present.
Freedoms:
1,2,3,4. The whole can benefit

MrSega

Post by MrSega »

Its just a travesty that arcade gaming has been non existant for about 20 years. Gameworks was a wasted investment back in 1997. Its was too ahead of its time & ill advised.

The silver lining is that Gameworks has never shut down completely & that RingWide is such a cheap budget board that selling this title at D&B is a cakewalk.

Hiryosuke
Dead House

Post by Hiryosuke »

Consoles killed the arcade in the states...y sink money into it if u can buy a console and play as much as u want basically free (not including the power bill lol)

CruSega
Doom

Post by CruSega »

Hiryosuke wrote:Consoles killed the arcade in the states...y sink money into it if u can buy a console and play as much as u want basically free (not including the power bill lol)
True. By gaming's 6th generation, it became impossible to tell the difference between a console or an arcade experience and online services negated any need for gamers to be in the same physical location to play one another.

SEGA-TUDE
dirty sailor

Post by SEGA-TUDE »

arcade places were always a teenage hangout and kids choice to go on ther birthday. consoles didn't kill arcades they both got different experiences. thers consoles in japan and you don't see them playing in ther house all the time. arcades are still alive over ther. its the economy and money problems in america that people don't have the money to just throw around anymore. alot of places closed down cause of the economy issues. not just arcades but cause the economy issue smart thing to do is get a console. wont have to dish out cash all the time. unless you got a xbox and they price tag everything lol.

CruSega
Doom

Post by CruSega »

SEGA-TUDE wrote:arcade places were always a teenage hangout and kids choice to go on ther birthday. consoles didn't kill arcades they both got different experiences. thers consoles in japan and you don't see them playing in ther house all the time. arcades are still alive over ther. its the economy and money problems in america that people don't have the money to just throw around anymore. alot of places closed down cause of the economy issues. not just arcades but cause the economy issue smart thing to do is get a console. wont have to dish out cash all the time. unless you got a xbox and they price tag everything lol.
Arcades have declined since around 1997-1998. If you go to a Mame site (ones that list games by year), you can see the number of arcade titles dwindling around this time and there was no economic problems back then.

Fact is, back in the 16 bit era or earlier, the consoles could not replicate the arcades. SNES or SegaCD Final Fight only displayed about 2-3 enemies on screen while the arcade version could offer around 8-10 enemies. Driving titles like Genesis OutRun or Super Monaco GP were missing all the background buildings and other scenery.

By the 32 bit era, some arcade boards were practically identical to the PS1 in architecture such as the ones used for Tekken 1-3..Saturn had trouble with ports of Daytona USA (lousy framerate and extreme popup) along with VF1 and VF2 (especially the scenery for the drunk fighter).

1996 was about the last great year for arcades when Sega had Scud Racer GT and VF3 on the Model 3.

SEGA-TUDE
dirty sailor

Post by SEGA-TUDE »

lol my ass. arcades was still popular during 1999. dance dance revaluation was one of the arcade trends at that time too it was popular. after 2003 is where i started to see the arcade trend decline. and fast too. in 1996 it probably wasn't as popular as it was when it came out but that kind of gaming was still kicking till past 2000's. like i said before i used to go to arcades. im going by experience and what i saw and arcades were still going hard all the way through the 90's. in 2000 is where it was still trying to cling on and the economy completely wiped out the left remaining. thers still hardcore arcade gamers around but thats the few you'll see now.

CruSega
Doom

Post by CruSega »

SEGA-TUDE wrote:lol my ass. arcades was still popular during 1999. dance dance revaluation was one of the arcade trends at that time too it was popular. after 2003 is where i started to see the arcade trend decline. and fast too. in 1996 it probably wasn't as popular as it was when it came out but that kind of gaming was still kicking till past 2000's. like i said before i used to go to arcades. im going by experience and what i saw and arcades were still going hard all the way through the 90's. in 2000 is where it was still trying to cling on and the economy completely wiped out the left remaining. thers still hardcore arcade gamers around but thats the few you'll see now.
I never said arcades were dead by 1999 but that the decline had already started around 96-97. The increased cost from a quarter (a try) to over one dollar by the late 90s likely didn't help matters either.