VGA/Super game converter issue

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

newdgamer
shadow

VGA/Super game converter issue

Post#1 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:02 am

Hi all, hopefully you guys can be my hero's...

Here's my situation: I have a US DC, a PAL Shenmue 2, a Innovation Super Game Converter, and a VGA box. Everything individually works just fine, but when I try to play with the VGA box, I don't get a picture.

I know the DC and VGA work because I play them all the time (including now) with no issues.
I know Shenmue 2 and the ISGC works because I can get it to play using A/V cables.
I'm pretty sure the game does at least start in VGA mode (despite my not being able to see it) because the memory card switches to Shenmue 2.

The only thing I'm seeing that I've never been able to test, is if there is an issue with playing PAL games on VGA boxes, as this is the first European game I've tried it on (Japanese games have worked fine.) But the ISGC has options for VGA and PAL so this doesn't seem likely.

I've spent over an hour trying different tweeks, and I'm both frustrated and completely out of ideas.

I'll be happy if I get to feel stupid for overlooking something dumb and obvious :D

Thanks!

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Re: VGA/Super game converter issue

Post#2 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:46 am

Some games do not support VGA natively. You have to trick them into booting in VGA mode. I would guess that Shenmue 2 would support it but idk for sure. I would recommend using Codebreaker to boot the game. Codebreaker is a cheat disk that can boot imports and trick most games into play on VGA. I will PM you with some more information.

newdgamer
shadow

Post#3 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:18 pm

I responded in the PM. I'll update on what happens tomorrow.

Oh and the box definitely says its VGA compatible. Maybe the ISGC screws up when you mix PAL + VGA *shrugs*

Thanks again Gary_b

newdgamer
shadow

Post#4 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:34 am

Gary_b wrote:Some games do not support VGA natively. You have to trick them into booting in VGA mode. I would guess that Shenmue 2 would support it but idk for sure. I would recommend using Codebreaker to boot the game. Codebreaker is a cheat disk that can boot imports and trick most games into play on VGA. I will PM you with some more information.

Songs will be sung in honor of @Gary_b !!

Codebreaker did the job, and now I can play Shenmue 2!

I'm doing a summer challenge wherein I'm attempting to beat 20 previously unbeaten games that I own between June 12 and Sept 1. I'm at 19, and decided to make the 20th game special, Shenmue 2.

Thank you, August 17th is now Gary_b day

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#5 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:11 pm

Im glad you got it working. CB is what I use for all my imports and it also tricks most non VGA games into VGA mode, so it has two uses.

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#6 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:05 pm

Now I'm curious what the other 19 games were.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image