Is it possible to connect Dreamcast to DVI Apple Cinema Display?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

namine207
core

Is it possible to connect Dreamcast to DVI Apple Cinema Display?

Post#1 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:56 pm

Hello!

I'm currently in the process of moving, and while I'm staying with my parents, I'm doing my best to keep everything compact. I set up my Apple display monitor, which uses a DVI port, and I have my dreamcast set up next to that. For now, I'm not sure if I should set up my TV anywhere because I'm not sure where to put it for now. Is it possible to get the Dreamcast working with the monitor (hopefully with audio)? I was thinking along the lines of DC -> VGA -> DVI but I'm fairly certain that doesn't carry audio at all. Just video is still fine though, so I guess what I'm asking is, what is my best option?

Thanks in advance!
Namine207

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Re: Is it possible to connect Dreamcast to DVI Apple Cinema Display?

Post#2 » Sun May 29, 2016 4:21 pm

I don't know if this would help you but my current PC is hooked up to a monitor with a DVI to HDMI cable which my GPU carries a audio signal. It is a non-standard so I really don't know how I can help you out there. However what I can help you with is if your monitor's DVI jack carries a power signal it may work, I'm just not sure that it would work. I have read up somewhere that you need an active adapter which needs power from a wall outlet. For me I would do some trial and error by getting a passive adapter and see if that works first, if not then get an active adapter.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#3 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:32 pm

There's many different kinds of DVI interfaces. DVI-D for example, I don't remember any of the other names. But a DVI to VGA converter or vice versa is a really common thing. You just have to identify the DVI interface on your display and get the correct adapter
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#4 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:51 pm

There are basically two types (but 3 acronyms).

1. DVI-D (Digital video only).
2. DVI-I (This is VGA/analog and/or DVI-D).
3. DVI-A (analog only - very old world, about 10 years ago).
4. There are also Dual Link and Single Link, but this is not a factor here.

If you look at your display, it will most likely be either DVI-D or DVI-I on the chassis. Please note that some TV's will have a DVI-I connector, but may NOT support analog/VGA. Reason is that if you have a male cable that is a DVI-I or DVI-D, it will allow you to use it, but the VGA portion will not be supported. Basically, if VGA is not what you are concerned with, then the DVI connection will support digital. Until recently, DVI does not support audio, so most likely, you will have to see where your display supports analog audio along with the DVI connection (most do, once again, not all do).

Good luck.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#5 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:01 am

I think that all the Apple Cinema Displays that are actually DVI are DVI-D only (there would be very little reason for the monitor to support analog input, since it was designed to work with computers that supported digital output).

Unfortunately, that won't be very useful to you with a Dreamcast without a bunch of extra work (namely, converting to HDMI first). You're better off with a TV, if you can find a good place for it.

namine207
core

Post#6 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:08 pm

Thank you guys so much for the responses! I seem to be having issues actually getting the monitor to display anything from any input now so I think this idea may be out. XD I may end up using my tv as my monitor instead for the time being. :)