VGA Setup

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

skull902
shadow

VGA Setup

Post#1 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:31 pm

Hey there everyone. Since I'm new, please allow me to introduce myself. I'm skull902 and I like to make videos for the internet like comedy skits/series and let's plays, the latter of which I'd like to talk about in this thread.

I want to get the highest possible quality from my recordings and unfortunately, the vast majority of capture cards don't support recording via VGA (including the Elgato Game Capture HD, the one I personally want to have.) I have been searching up and down for a VGA-to-HDMI upscaler for quite some time, one which can maintain the correct 4:3 aspect ratio of games for the system. I found the Lenkeng LKV351 Pro through a YouTube video and thought it was the perfect choice (an aspect controlling option in the scaler's menu was what sold me) with the added bonus of being able to upscale component so I could also hook up an OG Xbox, GameCube, Wii, etc. to it. I would just like to know if anyone's had experience with this scaler and ask if it makes the games look any less sharp or anything like that. It's one of the more expensive ones so I'd hope it would be good. :P

If not, would anyone have a recommendation for what I'd need for my setup (4:3, games looking just as clean)? Thanks in advance.

krssn
Metallic

Re: VGA Setup

Post#2 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:38 pm

I don't know the LKV351 but I do have the now defunct all-to-hdmi LKV391 from Lenkeng.

Back then I was glad I had it, but it was far from ideal, and looking back far too expensive for what I got - 300 USD or a little over €200 with the super interesting exchange rate for Europeans back in 2011. The SCART input did not convert RGB SCART for instance, which I found was a total rip-off. It was nice to have as a possible means to hook up older consoles to a modern monitor, and the quality was more or less acceptable - disregarding the fact that it was a Chinese not-so-cheap cheap converter and it didn't take RGB SCART. But last year I finally caved in and bought a Framemeister mini. Yes, it's expensive. But if you like quality and a good investment, this is the way to go...

I'm sure there's cheap models out there that perform decent enough. But if you want peace of mind, it's better to cough up the dough... lol

In other words, if I had known, I'd've gone for the Framemeister from the start. Buying that Lenkeng thing only made things more expensive in the end...

krssn
Metallic

Post#3 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:55 pm

Just remembered the Framemeister mini doesn't have a plug-and-play VGA in.

Haven't looked into that yet, but there's a few members here that work with the mini in combination with a modded DC VGA box or Toro or something similar. I'm sure they can help you out better with that part for now.

Meanwhile, have a look at this link...

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Dreamcast#XRGB-Mini_Specific_settings

RXShorty
photon blast

Post#4 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:38 pm

The framemeister (XRGB Mini) needs a specific VGA box (Toro) it sends the 480p signal over Scart.
And the Scart that comes with the framemeister is Japanse so won't work.
You have to buy a special EURO RGB Scart cable for it.

I just managed my setup HERE.
DreamOn!

skull902
shadow

Post#5 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:55 pm

I've heard of that option before but, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't 480p over VGA superior to 480p over RGB? I'd like to use the VGA signal, if possible.

Then again, maybe I could just wait to see if HD Retrovision will release component cables for the DC. That'd make things a hell of a lot easier. :P

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#6 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:41 am

skull902 wrote:I've heard of that option before but, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't 480p over VGA superior to 480p over RGB? I'd like to use the VGA signal, if possible.

Then again, maybe I could just wait to see if HD Retrovision will release component cables for the DC. That'd make things a hell of a lot easier. :P

VGA is a video standard and not a color signal range. VGA tends to run at 640x480 and all VGA signals are RGB. Now on the component cables there, from my knowledge the Dreamcast could not exactly produce progressive scan on it's own so it needs some kind of signal switch to get it to work. My belief is that component outputs a YPbPr color signal which the Dreamcast can do just fine. At least it isn't as complicated from what I've heard about the GameCube which can not even output 480p without a special propitiatory chip-set found embedded within the rare and expensive component cables.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

krssn
Metallic

Post#7 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:34 am

skull902 wrote:I've heard of that option before but, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't 480p over VGA superior to 480p over RGB? I'd like to use the VGA signal, if possible.

The standard RGB signal over SCART is interlaced, so your question is already wrong.

In case of the Toro it's a simple matter of sending a progressive VGA signal over the pins of the SCART connector.

In other words, it uses SCART as a carrier for a progressive VGA signal it's not normally used for.

The shape of the connector doesn't make any difference regarding the signal.

The same principle can sometimes be seen with VCRs and projectors.

My projector takes component signals over the D-sub connector for instance.

skull902
shadow

Post#8 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:56 am

krssn wrote:

The standard RGB signal over SCART is interlaced, so your question is already wrong.

In case of the Toro it's a simple matter of sending a progressive VGA signal over the pins of the SCART connector.

In other words, it uses SCART as a carrier for a progressive VGA signal it's not normally used for.

The shape of the connector doesn't make any difference regarding the signal.

The same principle can sometimes be seen with VCRs and projectors.

My projector takes component signals over the D-sub connector for instance.

Ah. See, that's what I was confused on was whether it was sending a SCART signal or VGA signal to the Framemeister. I'd also like to retain the stereo sound via RCA or 3.5mm if possible; even if it's not though Toro-to-XRGB is certainly worth looking into with that in mind.

RXShorty
photon blast

Post#9 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:48 am

Yup the "VGA signal" is send over SCART and it works great!
:)

If you want I can capture some screens.
DreamOn!

skull902
shadow

Post#10 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:04 am

RXShorty wrote:Yup the "VGA signal" is send over SCART and it works great!
:)

If you want I can capture some screens.

That'd be lovely. You got Sonic Adventure, by any chance?