How do I get rid of borders around my game?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ENunn
shadow

How do I get rid of borders around my game?

Post#1 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:47 pm

Hello.

This is really annoying me. I'm playing this game, and all of a sudden the black borders on the side and bottom turn into a blue border. How do I get rid of the borders entirely, colored or not? This looks really really bad. :/

Snapshot 2 (12-2-2015 9-43 PM).png

krssn
Metallic

Re: How do I get rid of borders around my game?

Post#2 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:21 pm

If you have overscan on your screen try that...

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#3 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:38 am

Seeing the FPS-counter in the corner, are you experimenting with the beta build which is floating around on the WWW?

If you want a permanent solution for this, instead of constantly fiddling with your TV functions, then hacking the game would be the way to go, this might prove useful for you; http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/wid ... cks.58620/ (I know you're not looking for a widescreen hack, but the basis of this information might be what you need to know where to be tweaking the code)

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#4 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:37 am

Wombat wrote:Seeing the FPS-counter in the corner, are you experimenting with the beta build which is floating around on the WWW?

If you want a permanent solution for this, instead of constantly fiddling with your TV functions, then hacking the game would be the way to go, this might prove useful for you; http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/wid ... cks.58620/ (I know you're not looking for a widescreen hack, but the basis of this information might be what you need to know where to be tweaking the code)

I really don't know if that would work. I have been floating around the THPS community for quite some years, and I highly doubt that the over-scan can be fixed by just editing the hex values with a cheat device. I would recommend him starting an account here and then ask that very same question there.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

krssn
Metallic

Post#5 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:22 pm

If it can be done then I'm quite interested in having this for Mega Drive / Genesis games.

Those have the most annoying colored borders...

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#6 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:01 pm

krssn wrote:If it can be done then I'm quite interested in having this for Mega Drive / Genesis games.

Those have the most annoying colored borders...

That actually can not be done since the Genesis uses the over scan to process the tilemap withing it to draw the backdrop for each game which does explain why some capture card doesn't play well with the video signal that is output by the console. however we're talking about THPS1 Dreamcast beta 12/10/99 here which doesn't play well with that guys current setup not the Genesis hardware limitations.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

krssn
Metallic

Post#7 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:35 pm

scaryred24 wrote:however we're talking about THPS1 Dreamcast beta 12/10/99 here which doesn't play well with that guys current setup not the Genesis hardware limitations.

Sorry for mentioning the Mega Drive in a thread not about the Mega Drive...

ENunn
shadow

Post#8 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:26 pm

Yeah it doesn't look like I have an overscan option on my TV. And there is no cropping either. Dang.

krssn
Metallic

Post#9 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:27 pm

Black tape... :lol: