VMU -> SD Card -> PC EMU possible?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

VMU -> SD Card -> PC EMU possible?

Post#1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:26 pm

Hi there,
I spend most of the year traveling with work or vacation so taking a Dreamcast with me is not always possible. But I tried a DC emulator for the first time yesterday and it wasn't too bad.

My question is: would it be possible to get my VMU saves of games to work on my laptop EMU NullDC or Demul via my Dreamcast SD card reader. I have Dream explorer but I dont think it has SD card support.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Re: VMU -> SD Card -> PC EMU possible?

Post#2 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:09 pm

It is possible. See the second post here : viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6826
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

killbot80k
fire

Re: VMU -> SD Card -> PC EMU possible?

Post#3 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:02 pm

The short answer is yes, yes you can. However doing it for the SD card adapter can be a bit of a pain. The problem is that when you save the file from the VMU to your SD card dreamshell will only save the raw file and not the vmi+vms file combo.(For example: Marvel vs Capcom 2 save file will be saved as 'MVLVSCP2_SYS') In windows you can just rename that file to whatever + .vms as the file extension so you have the vms file. Unfortunately you will need to rebuild the .vmi file to go along with it. I use a program call vmutoolpc to accomplish this. I believe it can be obtained from the Blue Swirl website. If you have a BBA you can use my tutorial dan1234 linked to and you won't have to go through any of that nonsense.

Once the save file is on the PC and you have the vmi+vms files you can use the vmuexplorer program which can be downloaded from my custom vmu icon tutorial HERE. You will just need to open the memory card .bin file from the emulator. NullDC uses a file called 'vmu_data_port01.bin' and Demul uses a file called 'vms00.bin'. Once opened you can import the save file from your PC.

If you still think this is not too much effort and have questions let me know. Cool thing is once you get the hang of it you can move your save files from the EMU to the DC depending on where you're at. If you think this could use a full tutorial with pictures and everything I will see what I can do.