Copy VMU files from SDCARD GDEMU

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

nickbailuc
shadow

Copy VMU files from SDCARD GDEMU

Post#1 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:05 pm

I have a GDEMU and I want to copy Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure DLC's and save files directly onto my VMU from the SDCARD. How can I do this?

dreamcast-news
Prince of Persia

Re: Copy VMU files from SDCARD GDEMU

Post#2 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:15 am

With Dreamshell and his files browser.With Dreamshell and his browser.
- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -

nickbailuc
shadow

Post#3 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:12 am

dreamcast-news wrote:With Dreamshell and his files browser.With Dreamshell and his browser.

dreamshell doesnt give access to files outside of the emulated rom on the sdcard on the gdemu.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:47 am

How would you do it without the GDEMU? If there's a way to do it, then you probably need to connect your GD-ROM drive again, finish doing whatever you need to do, and then install GDEMU a second time. Homebrew software doesn't always work with GDEMU the way it would work with a CD-R.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

nickbailuc
shadow

Post#5 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:12 am

Aleron Ives wrote:How would you do it without the GDEMU? If there's a way to do it, then you probably need to connect your GD-ROM drive again, finish doing whatever you need to do, and then install GDEMU a second time. Homebrew software doesn't always work with GDEMU the way it would work with a CD-R.

How would installing the gdrom back help? I have files I want to copy onto the vmu, and putting them on the sdcard is Easter than wasting a disk on it. Why would I need to install the gdrom? How would that even help me?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#6 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Can't DreamShell copy files between the SD card and the VMU? If not, can something like VMU Explorer do it? Game saves aren't meant to be stored on an SD card. If DreamShell doesn't give you a way to copy them back to a VMU, then you'll probably have to start over so you can save your games to a real memory card.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#7 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:26 am

@nickbailuc, although the GDEMU reads SD-cards, it can't do anything with this storage with the exception of running images of games as if it were real GD-ROM's. So when you copy save files \ DLC to this SD card the Dreamcast has no way of accessing this data.

In order to get this working you either need to connect your Dreamcast to the internet (modem or BBA) or use a relatively cheap Dreamcast SD adapter which can be used by e.g. Dreamshell to read and write to, like for example this one; http://www.ebay.com/itm/SD-Adapter-Read ... 1787146585