Is it a bad idea to use a Noctua fan with a stock PSU+GDEMU?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

xenphor
shadow

Is it a bad idea to use a Noctua fan with a stock PSU+GDEMU?

Post by xenphor »

I have a GDEMU with an unmodified PSU. I've tried using a Noctua fan already and am worried that it's not moving as much air as the stock fan. I know that the GDEMU causes the PSU to heat up more so I'm wondering if using a Noctua fan is a bad idea. I don't have any soldering equipment/experience so am unable to do any mods myself. I also use a SCART cable which would limit the type of mods I could perform. Of course it would be preferrable to use the Noctua since the stock fan is quite loud.

Has anyone used a Noctua fan with a stock PSU and noticed increased temperatures?
Last edited by xenphor on Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Is it a bad idea to use a Noctua fan with a stock PSU+GDEMU?

Post by deluxux »

Yep, put the stock fan back in, add a touch of grease and bump up the volume on the TV.

Noctuna fan is a "ive got nothing better to do for my youtube" mod...
xenphor
shadow

Post by xenphor »

deluxux wrote:Yep, put the stock fan back in, add a touch of grease and bump up the volume on the TV.

Noctuna fan is a "ive got nothing better to do for my youtube" mod...
Okay. The only other thing I thought of doing is using the Dreamcast with the top off with a low RPM PC case fan set on top of it. It's kind of a haphazard solution and I'm guessing having the PSU exposed is a bad idea?
deluxux
Black Mesa

Post by deluxux »

Fix it without soldering using a 300 Ohm 1/4W resistor, 1:50 in the video... https://youtu.be/MVKN3pQ11wM?t=110
xenphor
shadow

Post by xenphor »

deluxux wrote:Fix it without soldering using a 300 Ohm 1/4W resistor, 1:50 in the video... https://youtu.be/MVKN3pQ11wM?t=110
Will that resistor get pretty hot? I read that it wasn't a great solution so I didn't bother with it. I'm guessing I would still probably have to use the stock fan?
peanut_unlimited
lithium
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star, Quake 3

Post by peanut_unlimited »

The other option is to remove the 12v regulator from the power supply. From my experience I don't believe it gets hot enough to warrant stressing out too much. Suppose it might depend on how long your gaming sessions plan on being?!
xenphor
shadow

Post by xenphor »

peanut_unlimited wrote:The other option is to remove the 12v regulator from the power supply. From my experience I don't believe it gets hot enough to warrant stressing out too much. Suppose it might depend on how long your gaming sessions plan on being?!
I use SCART and read removing the regulator will mess with that? Also I don't have the tools to do it anyway.
Retrofan21
rebel

Post by Retrofan21 »

xenphor wrote:
deluxux wrote:Fix it without soldering using a 300 Ohm 1/4W resistor, 1:50 in the video... https://youtu.be/MVKN3pQ11wM?t=110
Will that resistor get pretty hot? I read that it wasn't a great solution so I didn't bother with it. I'm guessing I would still probably have to use the stock fan?
This is my personal anecdote. I don't think it will get hot. I been using a resistor with a stock psu and GDEMU for almost 5 years and have not noticed any heat problems. Later I did the Noctua mod 2 years ago and overheating doesn't seem to be a problem. My mods have not negatively effect my scart cable and I play Dreamcast games primarily on SCART through the Toro vga box.
xenphor
shadow

Post by xenphor »

Retrofan21 wrote: This is my personal anecdote. I don't think it will get hot. I been using a resistor with a stock psu and GDEMU for almost 5 years and have not noticed any heat problems. Later I did the Noctua mod 2 years ago and overheating doesn't seem to be a problem. My mods have not negatively effect my scart cable and I play Dreamcast games primarily on SCART through the Toro vga box.
Is a 1/4W resistor the best option? I've also read people suggesting 1/2W or even 1W? Here is a post I found about it. I'm worried about the heat from the resistors based on this post.

I'm also kind of paranoid about removing the stock fan since the fan connector on the controller PCB seems quite fragile and I've already swapped fans a couple times. It seems like it could easily lose contact with the PCB.
amcpartymix
undertow

Post by amcpartymix »

Since when was installing a Noctua fan a "nothing better to do" waste of time mod? From my understanding, the larger fan blows more air and cools the system better than the stock fan ever did. Not to mention, it's almost silent compared to the jet plane fan of the original. Now the consensus is to not even bother?