Dreamcast will play all my burned discs EXCEPT the Sonic Adventure games?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

recordicons
Fancy Pants Admin

Dreamcast will play all my burned discs EXCEPT the Sonic Adventure games?

Post by recordicons »

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere else on the forum that I haven't seen yet, I am very new to this.

I've been trying to burn games to play on my old Dreamcast which hasn't seen any action in at least a decade. All of my surviving GD-ROMs work, even a few other games like Omikron and Soul Reaver that my dad burned on Maxwell CD-Rs almost 20 years ago run like a dream. So far I've tried burning a few games myself like Jojo's, Crazy Taxi, and both Sonic Adventure games. Dreamcast doesn't recognize the Sonic discs as game discs or even as audio CDs. The CDI for SA2 is supposed to be selfboot, and even running boot discs (I've tried Utopia and Codebreaker) won't get either game to work.

I'm using DCRES's split disc releases for both games, ImgBurn, a 20-ish USD disc burner off Amazon, and Verbatim Music CD-Rs. I tried a single disc version of SA1 that won't work either. I really don't want to waste any more CDs trying the same files if they're just not going to work. Am I doing something wrong here? It's literally just these two games giving me issues, and they're the two I want to play the most.
stsherma
Fancy Pants Admin

Re: Dreamcast will play all my burned discs EXCEPT the Sonic Adventure games?

Post by stsherma »

Did you try the overburn option on your cd burner? It helps make files that are bigger than what can fit on a CD-R fit more closely to the specified CD. Can go up to 900mb I think.

I know you probably already tried this, but I'm just thinking, first things first.
recordicons
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by recordicons »

stsherma wrote:Did you try the overburn option on your cd burner? It helps make files that are bigger than what can fit on a CD-R fit more closely to the specified CD. Can go up to 900mb I think.

I know you probably already tried this, but I'm just thinking, first things first.
Yeah, I have it set to overburn with no luck. Since I posted this I got DCRES's single disc CDI of SA2 to run just once. First it detected it as an audio CD, then I got it to recognize it as a game. Played it for a bit, but the next time I tried to load it up it wouldn't recognize the disc anymore and I haven't gotten it to do it again.
gemmalyly
Fancy Pants Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: a

Post by gemmalyly »

The quality of the burned discs can significantly affect their compatibility with the Dreamcast. Low-quality or improperly burned discs may not work correctly, especially for games with more complex data like Sonic Adventure.
connections unlimited
bekean
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by bekean »

When using ImgBurn, make sure you are setting the correct options for Dreamcast games. In particular, make sure you are selecting the "Mode 2 / XA" option for the data track. You can find specific guides online for burning Dreamcast games with ImgBurn. drift hunters
zapteacher
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by zapteacher »

The compatibility of the encoded discs with the Dreamcast may be substantially impacted by their quality. Discs that are of poor quality or have been inadequately burned may malfunction, particularly when it comes to games that contain intricate data structures such as Sonic Adventure.
Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

There are numerous other factors, the most common of which is a worn-out gdrom drive. 99% of all problems Don't go, but it plays these other disks fine bullshit or it plays this gdrom. When it wears out, it stops loading high and low LBA calibration, which gets off and off, so it loads some and not others. All the CDI versions have been burned and have been working for many, many years. Plextor DVD drives are best for dc, as I have found, as are verbatim normal, not music CDs. DJ for games like Sonic and retail bleemcast. Img Burn does not burn all retail games, correct, DJ DOES! I have burned well over 1000 CDs. I have eight dreamcasts. The same burned disks only work in 4 of them, yet others do not work in those 4. That's life.. I have a mint DC that loads all the above. Same disks that don't work in the others. You can use a set of high-low LBA disks and calibrate the Dreamcast to make them work all the so-called bad burns. Let me tell you  about my  launch DC stopped reading disks after 2 years, and I had to adjust it many times with a multimeter. Another factor is that your DVD burner could be worn out as well as burning "light" versions. Just because it loads a 20-year-old disk that may fall into LOW LBA or HIGH LBA thresh hold and/or plays gdroms means little. It doesn't wear out like that.And that does not mean it's not half dead.

Red flag was it loaded the game one time then could not load it.. Burned cdr does not change if it worked once it is fine.. Major factor here is your drive not the disk.If it was bad it would of never loaded in the first place disk does not change the drive does.
Attachments
OIGq1399FTnzVQNhCM1Iip3.jpg