Controller port A not working: a mistery to be solved

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

murmandamus
shadow

Controller port A not working: a mistery to be solved

Post by murmandamus »

Hey guys

I'm trying to debug a situation here. I've seen some similar topics but the setup or the output isn't exactly the same, so I'm going to give you my Dreamcast's controller port history :D

1. I've received my Dreamcast back in 2001. Played the hell out of it, when suddenly the controllers stop working. I used a third party rumble pack and a original VMU. Sad young me, did not have the resources to fix it.
2. I remember borrowing my controllers to a friend, and the moment he plugged them in, his Dreamcast got the same problem
3. Fast forward some years, I have internet. Went for the easy solution of twisting the fuse. BOOM. Power unit blew up
4. Fast forward some years (2021) and I found out about DreamPSU. Beautiful.
5. Saw some online tutorials on how to properly fix the controller board. Did it. Replaced the fuse for a proper fuse, even relaced the resistor and the capacitor. Here's the tutorial: https://www.dreamcast.nu/en/how-to-fix- ... t-working/
6. Ok nice. Even use GDEMU right now. Never used the rumble pack again, because of the rumor that third party stuff draws too much power.
7. Problem is that the controller port A eventually stoped working. So I replaced the controller cables (I have two original controllers) because here and then the connection was clumsy. Better results. Good. Also replaced the fuse, resistor and capacitor, just in case.
8. But then it happened again. I was playing EGG and in the middle of it the controller port A suddenly stopped working. It did not respond. Out of nowhere. The VMU kept working!

So, I don't know what else to do. It's only port A! Controller power seems to be fine because of the VMU.
I don't get it.

Buying another port board is out of question: there are none available with 3 pin fan... Assuming it would fix the problem.

So, any ideas?
MondoGecko
minority

Re: Controller port A not working: a mistery to be solved

Post by MondoGecko »

Have you tried cleaning the pins in the port and the contacts on the controller connector?
Dreamcazman
fire

Post by Dreamcazman »

MondoGecko wrote:Have you tried cleaning the pins in the port and the contacts on the controller connector?

Yeah, that is what I would suggest too. You'll probably find one of the data lines isn't making a proper connection.

Does the controller work in the other ports?

The controller is probably still getting the 5v which is why the VMU is still on.

Failing that, you may have to use a multimeter in continuity mode and test the connection between console and controller.
murmandamus
shadow

Post by murmandamus »

I've cleaned them up. But its no use.
I noticed now, upon better looking, that some of the pins are slightly up in ports C and D (the less used ones) and B and A are really "buried" in the black central plastic.

So, I'd say that's the problem: there is no connection because they're not making contact. Luckily port B still works.

So, How could I raise them? Is there a way to disassemble the port connectors so I can have access to the little pins and bend them over slighly up?
murmandamus
shadow

Post by murmandamus »

Oh god
That was the solution!
I did not disassemble the port connectors, but managed to raise the pins with a needle. And suddenly port A works!
I think over the years those pins got to flappy.

Thanks guys
Dreamcazman
fire

Post by Dreamcazman »

murmandamus wrote:Oh god
That was the solution!
I did not disassemble the port connectors, but managed to raise the pins with a needle. And suddenly port A works!
I think over the years those pins got to flappy.

Thanks guys

Great, glad you got it working. A needle works fine or you could use any other fine tool to be able to get under the connector and lift it up. Dental picks work well too.

The connector pins are metal so for sure they can bend slightly over the years. Port A gets used the most so makes sense it's the one that would fail first.
Gromber
undertow

Post by Gromber »

Thanks for the tips murmuremos, i fixed my port problem with this.
AwakeEthelwulf
shadow

Post by AwakeEthelwulf »

Might sound dumb, but my issue was after doing a battery mod and plugging the ribbon cable in- I didn't realize I got a little debris in the connector... yeah I feel dumb. Got it out with some tweezers, only port a wasn't working.