Dreamcast turns off only while playing game

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: Dreamcast turns off only while playing game

Post#11 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 pm

Something is really wrong if Clockwork's unit is powering off instead of just the reset problem ..

Try it I had to give my PSU pins a lil nudge n seems to have ironed itself out lotsa use and DreamPi online hours too , if I remember rightly NTSC pins you push up and PAL pins you push down

Clockwork
rebel

Post#12 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:15 pm

mistamontiel wrote:Something is really wrong if Clockwork's unit is powering off instead of just the reset problem ..

Try it I had to give my PSU pins a lil nudge n seems to have ironed itself out lotsa use and DreamPi online hours too , if I remember rightly NTSC pins you push up and PAL pins you push down

Yeah it is definitely a different problem as everyone says as mine just shuts off now. But I will be checking the D.C. Today and see if I can't get one to at least work.

Really don't want to buy another DC but I will if I have to.

On a semi side note, o can't wait until those new power supplies on indie gogo are ready.

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#13 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:00 am

Its not the pins that you need to bend slightly, its the gates/shiutters that the pins make contact with on the PSU board. I have had several Dreamcasts, all that eventually show this problem. Take the PSU board out and look at the gates/shutters that the pins push though to make contact with. Looking down on top ofthem, push them down with a terminal screw driver so that they push harder against the pins when put back in place.

The reason you will only get this issue when playing a game is because the dreamcast will be trying to draw a larger current from the PSU.

Its is also worth cleaning the pins with a contact cleaner or glass fiber brush if you have any. Its not essential though. Im an elevtrical engineer so have this sort of stuff.

Hopefully this will help you.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart