How do I deal with non-working VGA games?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

tripletopper
blackout!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Alien Front Online
Chu Chu Rocket
Maximum Pool
Ooga Booga
Next Tetris
Sega Swirl
Worms World Party

How do I deal with non-working VGA games?

Post by tripletopper »

I understand for the light gun games I have to go through my CRT TV and the best connection you can get for that is S-Video, as it needs to be both low ping under a microsecond, end of higher video quality than composite or RF.

I noticed my one millisecond Lenovo monitor plays every game well and low ping and should convert VGA games into HDMI with only enough ping time to throw off a gun game, which I shouldn't be playing on a VGA anyway, even a VGA CRT, because their hertz rates are different.

Some games play perfectly fine on VGA others I get errors on my screen saying format not supported. Originally I was running the games directly off GD ROM which is the original Dreamcast official discs.

If I were to switch to dreamshell for most games, and download them on micro sdxc, does dreamshell have an automatic converter to VGA so that I don't have to move the Dreamcast for anything other than light gun games?

If I were writing the game of GD ROM but it doesn't work well with VGA what options do I have? I know CDX can sometimes "force" it into VGA mode.

Also the converter I'm using to go from S-Video to my capture card is a retrotink 2x Pro M. I assume the pictures would be better on the VGA directly to an HDMI converter because HDMI and VGA talk to each other in a more direct language than a retrotink S-Video and HDMI?

Just wondering what my VGA versus S-Video options are. If literally the only thing that needs S-Video is House of the Dead and Confidential Mission because it needs an ntsc CRT, then that would be perfect.