Dreamcast Live Game Night - Driving Strikers: Wednesday 3/27 @ 9:00PM Eastern

Schedule a time to play Dreamcast games online here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Forum rules
Post your Time Zone when scheduling for games. Use this map for reference: Time Zone Map
Arnold.D
minority

Re: Dreamcast Live Game Night - Starlancer: Wednesday 2/8 @ 10:00PM Eastern

Post#1861 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:38 pm

It's very odd. I just could not get starlancer to connect. I play Q3 and PSO all the time. Have dreampi 1.6. I have done the dmz port forward thing for AFO and have played online a few times. I wonder what is the deal with getting starlancer online for me :( I guess I'll try and join u guys next time

Xiden
Developer

Post#1862 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:49 am

Arnold.D wrote:It's very odd. I just could not get starlancer to connect. I play Q3 and PSO all the time. Have dreampi 1.6. I have done the dmz port forward thing for AFO and have played online a few times. I wonder what is the deal with getting starlancer online for me :( I guess I'll try and join u guys next time

Well if it makes you feel any better, I had tons of problems with Starlancer last night. And I typically never have problems with it. I'm not sure if it was my ISP or something up with my hardware... But anyways now it seems to connect fine today lol. You might try again today now that there aren't tons of people trying to connect to the server.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#1863 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:40 am

If this is accurate it could explain the issues:

lordnikon @ http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... 027cc0f0b9 wrote:The problem is lag. Starlancer works where a user hosts a game. The master list just lets people meet up. When a user hosts, they are handling all the bandwidth. So what you need to do to alleviate this, is find a person that can host games good.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#1864 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:57 am

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:If this is accurate it could explain the issues:

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. The game is P2P which means there is no host. Each client communicates with every other client.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#1865 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:02 pm

That was my understanding as well. However, if one (or more) players has a poor connection, could that throw off everyone else?

Xiden
Developer

Post#1866 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:59 pm

My problem last night was at some points I coundnt connect at all to the gamespy servers... just says server cant be found lol.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#1867 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:00 pm

Ok so I was incorrect. In talking with Jonas is seems the game isn't really P2P in the typical sense. Just in that the server is no longer in play after the game starts. The player that starts the game is the host and all traffic goes through them. No idea why we were having all those connection issues. We're using basically a "perfect" dial-up connection so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue. Not that it really matters with a 56k connection but I probably have a faster ISP than most (80Mbps down / 25Mbps Up) so hosting shouldn't be a problem.
PSO Characters:

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#1868 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:13 pm

This is out of my league, but the Dreampi modifies gamespy packets by removing PSH flags. I wonder if not having them creates extra latency.

http://packetlife.net/blog/2011/mar/2/tcp-flags-psh-and-urg/ wrote:Buffers allow for more efficient transfer of data when sending more than one maximum segment size (MSS) worth of data (for example, transferring a large file). However, large buffers do more harm than good when dealing with real-time applications which require that data be transmitted as quickly as possible. Consider what would happen to a Telnet session, for instance, if TCP waited until there was enough data to fill a packet before it would send one: You would have to type over a thousand characters before the first packet would make it to the remote device. Not very useful.

This is where the PSH flag comes in. The socket that TCP makes available at the session level can be written to by the application with the option of "pushing" data out immediately, rather than waiting for additional data to enter the buffer. When this happens, the PSH flag in the outgoing TCP packet is set to 1 (on). Upon receiving a packet with the PSH flag set, the other side of the connection knows to immediately forward the segment up to the application. To summarize, TCP's push capability accomplishes two things:

The sending application informs TCP that data should be sent immediately.
The PSH flag in the TCP header informs the receiving host that the data should be pushed up to the receiving application immediately.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#1869 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:16 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:This is out of my league, but the Dreampi modifies gamespy packets by removing PSH flags. I wonder if not having them creates extra latency.

The game only sends one or two packets with the PSH flag and that's when you initially connect to the Starlancer server. It also only applies to TCP packets. When in a game, only UDP packets are used.
PSO Characters:

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#1870 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:25 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
SEGA RPG FAN wrote:This is out of my league, but the Dreampi modifies gamespy packets by removing PSH flags. I wonder if not having them creates extra latency.

The game only sends one or two packets with the PSH flag and that's when you initially connect to the Starlancer server. It also only applies to TCP packets. When in a game, only UDP packets are used.

Hmm, then I wonder why I was having issues. I figured it was because I didn't have the Dreampi "fix" on my end. I'll have to do some further testing. When I joined the game last night I couldn't see any of your ships, but could see your chat and messages about players coming and going. It would also freeze frequently. My DC is DMZd and I've used the same setup before with starlancer, albeit a few years ago.