WWF Royal Rumble Review

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: So how good is WWF Royal Rumble?

1: Tossed over the top rope 1 second in
No votes
2: A perennial jobber
No votes
3: "Enhancement Talent"
No votes
4: An Acclaim game
No votes
5: A career midcarder
No votes
6: Getting a push
67%
7: US Heavyweight Champion
No votes
8: Intercontinental Champion
No votes
9: World Heavyweight Champion
33%
10: Hall of Famer
No votes
Total votes: 3

lastcallgames
Vagabond

WWF Royal Rumble Review

Post#1 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:15 pm

https://lastcallgames.wordpress.com/201 ... le-review/

There are two WWF games on the Dreamcast. I reviewed Attitude a year or so again, and here is Royal Rumble.

Attitude and Royal Rumble are polar opposite games. Attitude is a game stuffed to the gills with content, but kind of a chore to play. It has a huge creation suite (for 1999), but still isn't a fun game. Royal Rumble looks better, plays better, and can have more people on screen at once.

But there are legitimate issues for this game. It has 19 wrestlers to select, and 2 more to unlock. Attitude had over 40. Royal Rumble has no creation options at all. Royal Rumble has 3 game modes (and one is VS). There's the titular Royal Rumble (which is luckily done much better than Attitude did it) and the Exhibition, which is basically an arcade mode with 9 stages before taking on the Boss, Vince McMahon. And he's freaking OP.

So the game has much less content, but it plays much better. Instead of relatively complex button combinations like a fighting game, Yuke's used their new wrestling system of a max of 3 button presses for a move, all pretty easy to input, and without complex directions too. It's not perfect, and it gets refined over the next 15 years, but it's a big improvement on Attitude.

The presentation is not bad at all. The wrestlers look good. And you can easily have 8 wrestlers on screen with no slowdown. There's also no loading when bringing in another one. The sound is alright. The crowds look as good as a Dreamcast crowd can, they're gifs, but they have decent resolution and a few frames of animation. There is no commentary, which is at this point ridiculous. There's only 21 names to put in and you could use a decent amount of lines, but they didn't put in any commentary.

WWF Royal Rumble is a marked improvement on its predecessor in many aspects. The gameplay is improved, the graphics are better, and it's better optimized. The biggest downfall is the excessive lack of content.

I gave Royal Rumble a 6/10, if it had had the amount of content Attitude had, it would probably be an 8 or so.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: WWF Royal Rumble Review

Post#2 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:39 am

Haven't seen the video. But why does this summary not mention that RR is an arcade port? That is the main reason for the lack of content, easy controls and learning curve. It's simply a perfect port of a NAOMI arcade title.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Re: WWF Royal Rumble Review

Post#3 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:12 pm

I mentioned that multiple times in the video, and on the website. I thought I had mentioned that here, but I was watching the live Rumble at the same time.

I've never seen or played the arcade game, so I don't know if it's a perfect port (being based off NAOMI hardware I would assume so).