Time Stalkers

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: how would you score Time Stalkers on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being best?

1 unworthy, even the PSX has better graphics
No votes
2 very bad
No votes
3 bad
8%
4 playable
8%
5 love hate relationship
17%
6 good
8%
7 better
33%
8 cost me 3 months of my life
No votes
9 excellent game
17%
10 final fantasy has got nothing on this
8%
Total votes: 12

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Time Stalkers

Post#1 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:48 pm

OK, I've never done this before, so we'll see where it leads :mrgreen:

Gameplay

Addictive, since there's so much to do in this game; collecting all kinds of items & stuff, rares, legendary equipment for each character, while you'll also want to complete the game, level all your characters up(5 different ones & a few unlockables), raise the monsters you've caught, a ton of VMU mini games, lots of quests to do (I daresay at least 100) and a weird world to explore. Beware, though this game has been promoted & sold as an RPG, it is in fact a dungeon crawler in its purest form. This is not game for the average RPG fan who gets off on words like “epic”.
The dungeons are generated randomly & here lies the game's strong point imo, I've played the game for well over 60 hours atm & have completed about half of the item list, ¾ of the monster list, a few rares & a fraction of the legendary items. Inside the dungeons its basic RPG stuff; you enter it with 1 character & a max of 2 of your caught monsters & battles are turnbased (although a bit more tactical then turnbased since you're fighting on a grid).As you level up, you'll learn more spell& skills as in every other RPG. However (and this is the part why most folks will throw this game away after a few hours), when you leave a dungeon, all your characters levels will be reset to 1; your spells, skills & rank however, will be kept. And this is the important part about this game, if a character is say rank 1 (they all have different names for each character, so I'm using numbers), you'll enter a dungeon at level 1 with way 10 health, but if you enter a dungeon with rank 2 at level 1, you'll have 20 health (just using fictive numbers here); this affects all stats, so even if your level drops back to 1 after a quest, you'll still be stronger than when you started it; its just something you'll have to see through.

Graphics

The graphics are of high quality for such an early dreamcast title (1999), specially in VGA, it all looks very polished & cartoonesque, with everything in bright colors. The cutscenes are simple FMV, but good enough for its time & they do the job well. The light effects are quite good as well, this mostly shows when using spells or regenerative items, like in any other RPG. As in a lot of the early dreamcast games, the camera seems to live a life of its own at some parts in the game, but again this is a minor flaw that only happens outside of the dungeons (in town) so it isn't a big deal since there are no enemies there. Inside the dungeons, the camera is completely controllable & it does the job fine imo.

Sound/Music

Nothing special here; average RPG style music on the worldmap (in town) & dark ambient like stuff inside the dungeons. The good thing is that with every character you play, the music changes its tune (a nice touch imo). Sound is ok too, hits, stabs, shots & spells; nothing special here, but the sounds used are very clear & again they do the job

Story

This is a very short game in terms of story & classic for any RPG oriented game: your underdog hero gets swallowed by a book & teleported to another world thats made up of parts of the world, but all from different areas in time (they are floating islands, connected by bridges) and he has to find his way home, meeting other playable characters as the story continues. Nothing fancy, but it keeps the game going.

Replay

And now we get to the part where the game shines. Although its a very short game by RPG standards (you can see the end sequence in 20 to 25 hours if you want), the replay value is immense, for the true dungeon crawler (me :mrgreen:); coz of the many secrets to be unlocked, tons of stuff to be found (items alone, I think over 200), catch monsters & put em to work in your VMU to raise their stats, level up all your characters ranks & skills and their legendary weapons, renovate your house, find & buy rares for your collection room (there's a VMU mini game that lets you draw a picture that you can later hang on your house wall inthe game, etc...). There's a bunny with a leather mask & loincloth where you can get a job (quests), these consist of various things, like catch a monster & raise to level x, find a certain item in a certain dungeon, kill a certain boss, etc... Some of them are found easily, others you'll have to raid the dungeon again & again to find it. At one point I tried to kill 3+ of a certain monster in a certain dungeon & the reward was a skill I wanted really bad; it took me 2 whole weeks to complete that quest, it did it 2 or 3 times a day (they usually take between 30 mins & 1 hour per quest).

Overall
7/10

Great, but not for everyone; if you love leveling up for the sake of leveling up and if you're the kind of gamer that needs to get every last item & secret out of a game, this is for you. If you expect “epic” in terms of the FF games, avoid like the plague. If you liked Azure Dreams on the PSX, you'll love Time Stalkers

vid 1
vid 2
vid 3
Last edited by mazonemayu on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

black flag nc
blackout!

Re: Time Stalkers / Climax Landers

Post#2 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:27 am

I hated this game when it came out. At the time, the DC was starving for RPGs and this one just didn't cut it. I didn't spend much time with it.

I've always wanted to give it another go...
"Wait. It's a trick. Get an ax." -Ash

TheCoolinator
Vagabond

Post#3 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Great review for a great game :D
"Gaps do not get filled by ignoring them"

"Well, see these men follow no man but me......and I follow no man at all."

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

Impulse
Admin

Post#4 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:50 am

Thanks for contributing the first review, mazonemayu. I enjoyed reading through it. I will have to get a working copy of this game very soon. i'm am anxious to experience it for myself.
-Impulse

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#5 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:38 am

i see you added the videos at the bottom mazonemayu. you have set a pretty high standard for the review thread.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#6 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:11 am

Gary_b wrote:i see you added the videos at the bottom mazonemayu. you have set a pretty high standard for the review thread.

thx :mrgreen: , and I thought it was gonna stink, english not being my native tongue & all...
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

Visit:

TuxTheWise
Dreamcast Addicted

Post#7 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Link for anyone who wants to download it:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=865
- Check Dreamcast-Talk Downloads Index and help uploading games too!

Unrealdark
rebel

Post#8 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:55 pm

Very good review mate. :D

i liked this game it took some time for me to get used to the (not lvling up thing) i even thought i didnt save the game because my levels were gone when i got out of a dungeon hehe. but after getting over that it was quite a good game overall. 8-)

Radkin
PSOaholic

Post#9 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:01 pm

Rad review. I didn't know much about this game until I read your post. It drew me in, I'm deff interested in playing this now. ;)
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#10 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:50 pm

Radkin wrote:Rad review. I didn't know much about this game until I read your post. It drew me in, I'm deff interested in playing this now. ;)

better order a stack of vmu batteries then ;) ;)
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

Visit: