Please help with dail up.

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mugiwara
rebel

Please help with dail up.

Post#1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:01 pm

Hey! im new to the community and I just got my Dreamcast last week for nostalgia. I recently wanted to get online with the modem, my budget right now is really bad and I cant buy a BBO sadly. I wish I could but I cant, is it possible someone can help me get online with modem? I have the cables and I have Xfinnty whatever its called. Can someone please help me? I have a Skype if you want to contact me there or Discord.

Any help will be most appreciated.

I have the web browser 3.0 disc and a XDP disc.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Re: Please help with dail up.

Post#2 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:40 pm

dream pi.

rasberry pi with dreampi loaded on it.

and an lvi accuired on here or dreamcast live. pretty much plug and play. no bba required

way cheaper then a bba also. and supports all games online

mugiwara
rebel

Post#3 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:45 pm

The-Amazing-Mr_V wrote:dream pi.

rasberry pi with dreampi loaded on it.

and an lvi accuired on here or dreamcast live. pretty much plug and play. no bba required

way cheaper then a bba also. and supports all games online

I'm sorry.
But I cannot invest anynore money on my Dreamcast for now, I was asking if anyone can help me get my modem on my dreamcast online, I'm not sure where to connect the phone cables or even start. i mean I have the discs I need and the cables but that's pretty much it, I probably have more tools laying around as well.

But I do have a win xp that I heard can do dial up, but my modem in my dreamcasg is a version B something like that.

But I'm asking for help how to use dial up, I really need to know how to use it.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#4 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:07 am

ah. sorry. there is a pc-dc connection but i havent done that. some one will chime in soon with help!

mugiwara
rebel

Post#5 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:12 am

The-Amazing-Mr_V wrote:ah. sorry. there is a pc-dc connection but i havent done that. some one will chime in soon with help!

Really? Man I hope!
Thanks for replying anyways ;w;

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#6 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:36 am

I've done the DC-PC server thing. i will try to help you the best I can but you will need the following:

1. WinXP.
2. A fax modem (PC).
3. Linux OS (Ubuntu 8 is what I used).
4. VMware Virtual Machine.
5. LVI (a line voltage inducer). One can be built for nothing but a spare wire with a capacitor, resistor and a 9-volt battery. If you had a model "A" modem, you would not need this.
6. A standard phone cable (from the Dreamcast modem to the PC modem).

Video by brourke (the creator of the guide)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BZTUA_ClKU

Written instructions to match the video (by brourke)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2427
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

mugiwara
rebel

Post#7 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:54 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:I've done the DC-PC server thing. i will try to help you the best I can but you will need the following:

1. WinXP.
2. A fax modem (PC).
3. Linux OS (Ubuntu 8 is what I used).
4. VMware Virtual Machine.
5. LVI (a line voltage inducer). One can be built for nothing but a spare wire with a capacitor, resistor and a 9-volt battery. If you had a model "A" modem, you would not need this.
6. A standard phone cable (from the Dreamcast modem to the PC modem).

Video by brourke (the creator of the guide)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BZTUA_ClKU

Written instructions to match the video (by brourke)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2427

Man I'm sorry I can't do this since I have a model "B" and I can't do that wire stuff, if I could I would!
Is there another method that I can do with a model "B" modem?

sega dude
undertow

Post#8 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:47 pm

If you have an older computer laying around, you can install Debian Linux on it and run a DC-PC server that way. I run my DC-PC server on an older Pentium Dual Core based PC running Debian 8 with an external serial modem. I've also done this with a PowerMac G4 and it's built in modem. Another way I have done it is with an old Windows 98 PC and the modem it had it in. Don't quote me on this, but if the PC modem you have has a transformer on it, you won't need to use a line voltage inducer with an A modem. However, if the modem does not have a transformer, you need a line voltage inducer, no matter what Dreamcast modem you have. This has been my experience. There is a lot of options. If you want me to go into more detail about anything I've said here, let me know.

mugiwara
rebel

Post#9 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:37 pm

sega dude wrote:If you have an older computer laying around, you can install Debian Linux on it and run a DC-PC server that way. I run my DC-PC server on an older Pentium Dual Core based PC running Debian 8 with an external serial modem. I've also done this with a PowerMac G4 and it's built in modem. Another way I have done it is with an old Windows 98 PC and the modem it had it in. Don't quote me on this, but if the PC modem you have has a transformer on it, you won't need to use a line voltage inducer with an A modem. However, if the modem does not have a transformer, you need a line voltage inducer, no matter what Dreamcast modem you have. This has been my experience. There is a lot of options. If you want me to go into more detail about anything I've said here, let me know.

Yeah man, I need help with this, I may ask if you could contact me on Skype mabye? i have a pretty decent old Windows XP laying around. My XP has a vista as well thanks to dual boot. But yeah sure! it would be nice getting help with my model "B" modem as well. ^-^

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#10 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:34 pm

Sorry, I just know that my model B did not work but my model A did when my DC-PC set-up existed (alas, my HDD died)!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Return to “Online”