DreamPi 1.6 Released!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xerxes3rd
fire

Re: DreamPi 1.6 Released!

Post#11 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:20 pm

@Bob Dobbs: Do you have port forwards set up in your router for Starlancer? What model router is it?

Shuouma
Developer

Post#12 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:39 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:@ Kazade:
I am just reporting my isms to assist in development. I do not know if PCwzrd13 informed you but anytime after I connect to Starlancer via GD-ROM, it kills my router when attempting to "join" or "create a game. It needs rebooting at that point. It is to note that no other "anything" does that, so this is isolated to this scenario. I also know that it will not allow me to "join" a game in PBA Tour Bowling although I can connect.

This is not a complaint, I am just reporting my results.

So you not able to join/create games in gamespy is either:
1. Wrong port-forwarding
2. Your ISP doesn't allow traffic on the port-forwarded ports

When you say "kills your router", you mean you can't get a WAN IP
and surf from another computer or do you mean towards the DC?

Maybe I can see if there is something else I can add to the dcgamespy software,
for example if your ISP also denies PSH flags on other TCP packets that will result in a
SYN packet going out but not accepting the returning ACK,PSH packet.

We can debug some day, I just need to tcpdump when we try a game
and I can see directly if your router blocks the ports or not.

Hope this help a little.
Last edited by Shuouma on Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#13 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:00 pm

How does the lack of port-forwarding result in a stale TCP session? For a TCP session initiated by the client, port-forwarding shouldn't matter. For a TCP session initiated by the server, the connection should fail/timeout, but that shouldn't affect the router or client at all, right? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the situation.

Shuouma
Developer

Post#14 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:02 pm

Xerxes3rd wrote:How does the lack of port-forwarding result in a stale TCP session? For a TCP session initiated by the client, port-forwarding shouldn't matter. For a TCP session initiated by the server, the connection should fail/timeout, but that shouldn't affect the router or client at all, right? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the situation.

Yes, that came out wrong, of course that will never establish a TCP session
due to missing port-forwarding. But so you know Xerxes3rd, Bob couldn't even
connect to the Gamespy until I added the dcgamespy software to 1.6, that is,
his ISP blocks TCP packets with certain flag combinations. So you have some
background if you want to help out :)

@Bob Dobbs - You can't create a game in Starlancer or people can't join?
Because creating a game in Starlancer is actually creating a IRC channel in the background.

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#15 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:07 pm

Shuouma wrote:Yes, that came out wrong, of course that will never establish a TCP session
due to missing port-forwarding. But so you know Xerxes3rd, Bob couldn't even
connect to the Gamespy until I added the dcgamespy software to 1.6, that is,
his ISP blocks TCP packets with certain flag combinations. So you have some
background if you want to help out :)

Ah, thanks, I understand now. =) This is probably another reason I should get UPnP working. Side note- I'm still a little concerned about doing 200 (100 each for TCP and UDP) UPnP port forwards for Starlancer, since I'm not sure all routers would support that many. As I work on it some more, perhaps I could listen to some of the control packets for the game and figure out real-time which ports in that range it's using, then use UPnP on-demand for just those ports.

Anyway, back to the issue. For users experiencing issues like this, is there a typical filter you use for tcpdump to diagnose these issues?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#16 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:33 pm

Here is my breakdown.
I can connect to all games just fine, but then...

1. Starlancer - after I connect I can see a game to join. When I select that game, my router (or cable modem) is no longer connected to the internet. This means I do not have any kind internet connection at all and must reboot everything (Linksys VoIP adapter, Motorola cable modem and Linksys WRT54G wireless router). The same thing happens when I create a game...run to the basement and reboot.

PBA Tour Bowling - I cannot join a game although I do see the match.

Most likely I am the only one affected so I do not think (nor did I at any point) believe it is the DreamPi being that if I use Netopia, I would get weird Comcast messages of why I cannot connect to 4x4 Evo chat although I could connect via a designated IP address once it failed. To note, I've gone over my port forwarding on a few occasions and all is well.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Shuouma
Developer

Post#17 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:56 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:"The same thing happens when I create a game...run to the basement and reboot."

I know it is a hazzle, but have you just tried "creating a game" on starlancer when nobody
is on? And also:
1. Can you play 4x4?
2. Have you tried Next Tetris?

Because 4x4 only uses the SYN,PSH flag for the inital handshake towards
the server, while the other games uses it also for p2p handshakes.

I did check up the Linksys WRT54G and it seems to have issues
with dropping internet connectivity, especially with managing the local DNS routing tables.
Have you upgraded to the latest firmware?

And the last, I can give you a tcpdump command which you can run and then
send me the file and I will probably find where the issue is. That is, where in the
"chain" does it stop receiving or sending packets.

death_pixel
undertow

Post#18 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:54 am

Is dreampi 1.6 mandatory to have or can I stick with 1.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#19 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:58 am

death_pixel wrote:Is dreampi 1.6 mandatory to have or can I stick with 1.5?

If you aren't having any issues with 1.5 then there's no reason to upgrade.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#20 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:57 pm

Shuouma,

First off, thanx for the work you have done. Second, I was just reporting my issues, but I am but one person in the mix, so I do not want to exhaust your time on me - I always have the unexplained isms with my barely cable speed connection...lol! Third, thank you for re-enforcing what I have been pointing out to others that my router was the worst for gaming (even PC players had problems playing Q3 with this router in the past, well documented on the internet). I updated the firmware to v8.00.2 over a year or so ago via their tech support (it was leftover up-opened stock I received free from the service manager, so they had to honor it after much debate). Fourth, I have played 4x4 with 100% success but I do not own a copy of Next Tetris, so I have not had tested it although I might buy one via eBay.

And last, I would not mind running tcpdump, I could use the exercise running up and down the basement steps...lol!

Take care - and feel free to just let this one go as once again I am only one of many and I understand.

P.S. Stop laughing at me, PCwzrd13; it is not very Canadian of you...lol!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs