Let's now get 10,000 people online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Let's now get 10,000 people online

Post#1 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:47 pm

I think after AFO being relaunched, it's time to start a social media campaign to get 10,000 new people on

To get 10,000 people online, we need to put the information of all the current working stuff in a place where about 750,000 people will see it. To do that, we need to put the information in as many places as possible, with the maximum amount of traffic where we can put it

This includes:
KOTAKU EDITORS/WRITERS
Steam Community Hubs
Every major gaming reddit board you can find
Larger Sega general communities (chao island for SA1/2/SA2B/SADX has 200 people online concurrently sometimes)
Large general gaming communities like: IGN boards, ModDB boards, TheISOZone boards, GameFAQs, ETC

When you post on larger communities, include this info:
- DreamPi as a "dialup emulator adapter" or as "in-home dialup ISP emulation"
- Complete list of online games
- You're joining others on a campaign to get 10,000 new people online
- All internet browser features currently working like Dreampipe and/or Dreampipe BB, Sonic Adventure 1, Blue Swirl,
dc.dreamcast-talk.com, IRC support in planetweb (hopefully more in the future)
- Other projects being worked on like Worms World Party, other's in WIP section of dcserv.org, future UT fundraiser
- Potential other future projects like Dreamcall, Dreameye functionality, an ever improving Dreampipe, the implications of SNAP/KAGE server emulation by Petter3k&Team ETC
- Any other good idea I didn't think of right now

We should each pick two or three websites per-person to post on every two days, even if we get banned (we're talking really large communities here, so we might get banned, but continuing imo isn't considered 'trolling' if you're actually trying to get 10,000 people). I'll list each website below that each person who participates in this campaign chooses

WE MUST ALSO GET A KOTAKU WRITER TO POST AN ARTICLE ABOUT ALIEN FRONT ONLINE BEING BROUGHT BACK ASSOONASFUCKINGPOSSIBLE. THIS WOULD BE THE LARGEST POSSIBLE PUBLICITY I CAN THINK OF

----------------

DR TEAMCAST:
no sites declared yet will edit

(will edit this post as others contribute ideas and I think of more ideas to get 10,000 people)
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Xiden
Developer

Re: Let's now get 10,000 people online

Post#2 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:20 am

Im on board with this :)

I still think we need to start a kickstarter to fund mass production of dreampi's. Maybe we could make an all in one case solution.

Lots of people are interested but want a ready made dreampi.

VasiliyRS
Uber

Post#3 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:41 am

I still think we need to start a kickstarter to fund mass production of dreampi's

+1 for that. Maybe mot exactly KS but simalar service for funding.

Im one of them. :)

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#4 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:00 pm

I was just saying to get the word of mouth going. Count on 1% actually joining. So if we get the info in front of 1m people, we can hope 10k will actually get on

If a few people say they're in, i'll pick a subreddit and maybe IGN boards (after seeing how active it is). If nobody wants to hop on board it's just an idea then
ImageImage
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:05 pm

Im trying that here, is a mix of Online DC news and pcwzrd13 Game Nights but in spanish thread, on Dreamcast.es
The main wall for many users there is not the all DreamPi, is the Line Inducer and 56k modem usb. Maybe need to give more info about it. Other users are afraid thinking that DreamPi = Another DC-PC stuff, and this is wrong. Is easier for the end-user.

This is my try to info people in spanish:

http://www.dreamcast.es/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=2589&rowstart=0
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post#6 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:19 pm

Xiden wrote:fund mass production of dreampi's.

This is the absolute most critical part.

The vast minority would invest the effort to build one themselves.

DreamPi's need to be available online and a simple plug-and-play. Only then will we get anywhere near achieving the kinds of numbers you guys are talking about.
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#7 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:50 pm

I think you guys are missing the point, even if we have 10k pre-assembled dreampi's we'd still need to spread the word to sell them. Making an LVI is really simple, people are just intimidated by using a soldering iron. You're just connecting a capacitor/resistor/battery clip in sequence with metal glue. A 5th grader could do it (not implying insult to anyone's intelligence)

I'm talking getting the word of all this stuff into the conscious of the mainstream average gamer

But it's 3 to 1, i'm probably wrong, if you guys think that's a better idea then hop to it 8-)

All this probably sounds silly anyway until you can load up anything at any time and be greeted with other people, it'd be worth it. All of my 'projects' over time have been to somewhat achieve that, Skype group has been pretty successful as we're close to 100 people (though it took 1.5 years almost)
ImageImage

Xiden
Developer

Post#8 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:35 pm

DR TEAMCAST wrote:I think you guys are missing the point, even if we have 10k pre-assembled dreampi's we'd still need to spread the word to sell them. Making an LVI is really simple, people are just intimidated by using a soldering iron. You're just connecting a capacitor/resistor/battery clip in sequence with metal glue. A 5th grader could do it (not implying insult to anyone's intelligence)

I'm talking getting the word of all this stuff into the conscious of the mainstream average gamer

But it's 3 to 1, i'm probably wrong, if you guys think that's a better idea then hop to it 8-)

All this probably sounds silly anyway until you can load up anything at any time and be greeted with other people, it'd be worth it. All of my 'projects' over time have been to somewhat achieve that, Skype group has been pretty successful as we're close to 100 people (though it took 1.5 years almost)

I'm totally for spreading the word and I have on a few sites (Considering making a post on Sega.com forums lol) But when people get interested they just want one to buy right then and there and unfortunately I lack a stock of them.

It would be nice if we could get Kotaku or other gaming sites to write an article about it. I'd really like to see us have an updated Youtube video showing the new USB powered and A/C powered options people can do and where to buy them. If we were to get Kotaku for example to post an article I'd like to have some place where people can line up to buy already made dreampi's or have shopping cart lists ready for people who desire to make their own.

Otherwise we get a lot of "Well that looks cool but really hard to make, I wish I could just buy one" replies.

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#9 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Now Worms World Party is back online! :)

everynewday84
Nemesis

Post#10 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:59 pm

10k online tonight
This is a message to you:
Do what you love; Love what you do.