Quake 3 can't connect to modem

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mrDMG89
shadow

Quake 3 can't connect to modem

Post#1 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi! My friend and I are trying to go online with Dreamcast. We are using this instruction: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7598 and modem https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/USB-2-0-56Kbs-externalV-92-90-Dial-Up-Voice-Fax-DATA-Modem-With-Telephone-RJ11/1648751003.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.uc95QY&detailNewVersion=&categoryId=70803. Planet Web Browser and XDP Web Browser work fine.
But Quake 3 don't work at all! It just does not want to see the modem. DNS is correct. It tries to connect always 10 seconds and then give this error:
ImageImage
Same at NTSC and PAL versions. If we could to connect without any modem, unplug telephone cable from dreamcast, we get same error. It seems Quake don't see modem at all. Again, browser works fine. In terminal we get call. But when we try to connect Quake, there is not any response at terminal at all. PSO see modem and send call to it. We are using burn copy of Quake 3. Thanks! Sorry for bad English.

TacT
Uber

Re: Quake 3 can't connect to modem

Post#2 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:25 pm

Quake 3 requires a DIal Tone to connect, it does not support blind dial
I don't know what those instructions are for.
You should try using the dreampi software instead

it's still thinking.

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:36 pm

mrDMG89
shadow

Post#4 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:39 pm

We don't have Pi yet. Use our PC with Linux.
Upd. PSO also work.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:07 pm

I had that same setup (DC-PC server). Quake 3 would not connect because I did not have a phone line simulator. 4x4 Evo, Max Pool, XDP, Planet Ring and PSO all connected online.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#6 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Yeah Q3 needs that dial tone to start. Either need A phone line simulator to make the 'sound' or use the DreamPi sice it basically plays a recording of a dial-tone to the dreamcast to make it happy and connect.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#7 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:41 pm

There is also the "swap trick". If you have VoIP, then you can plug your VoIP phone line "temporarily" into the Dreamcast modem. Then select dial, wait a few seconds, then unplug the VoIP line and quickly plug in your PC modem. I understand this works but I never tried this.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

mrDMG89
shadow

Post#8 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:18 am

Thank you for response! Swap trick is impossible. We don't have VoIP. Now we are waiting Pi delivery. But also trying to make modem send this dial tone sound...

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#9 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:35 pm

If you can make the modem do this, let us know. Good luck.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

mrDMG89
shadow

Post#10 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:21 am

We made it) We use Ryochan7 scrip, last post in instruction topic. When you start it you must add key "--enable-dial-tone" in terminal. Then it will make that tone on the line. But scrip has some bugs. We make a few twicks and tell Ryochan7 about it. Update will be soon. But even with few minor changes
we were able to connect to Quake 3 servers. Ping is terrible... About 300-400 ms. We are from Russia and
it is not surprising. I was make local server. It is in genetal pull. We will make some other tests. Thank everyone for help!