Wifi with raspberry pi 3b

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Wifi with raspberry pi 3b

Post#1 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:42 pm

Does anyone use the built in wifi on the raspberry pi 3 model b? If so is there much lag?

How does one set up wifi on dreampi?

I have the model 3b but I used a wired connection to my router.

Thmanx
Anarki

Re: Wifi with raspberry pi 3b

Post#2 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:41 pm

I have the Pi3b as well, but I played it safe with the 1st party N WiFi USB adapter. Was only a few bucks, but I heard there was extra setup needed to use the built in wifi.

I could be wrong with that, but using the WiFi USB adapter worked with out a hitch.

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#3 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:50 pm

Thmanx wrote:I have the Pi3b as well, but I played it safe with the 1st party N WiFi USB adapter. Was only a few bucks, but I heard there was extra setup needed to use the built in wifi.

I could be wrong with that, but using the WiFi USB adapter worked with out a hitch.

True, the built in wifi can loss a bit of speed, but no so much, is more a cuestion about distance from the RPI to the router and the case that you use (the wifi chip are on the underside of the board).

You have two ways to get it on that thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9725
The pcwzrd13 video are very nice explained and clear ;-)
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#4 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:42 pm

The rpi is maybe 15 feet from the router. Far end of the living room so the gf doesnt like the cable running down the middle. And a simple small black plastic case.

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:16 am

Maybe is far for the built-in wifi. Better a USB one.
Anyway, Raspberry PI 3 is a very good machine. with it you can have a usuall linux pc, a multi-emulator with online functions, multimedia, live TV... in one small thing.
Keep a worth to plug a strong USB wifi ;-)

Kurasiu
fire

Post#6 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:55 am

Strange. I'm using a RasPi 3B as well, with the built-in WiFi module, and everything seems to work just fine. Tested under PSOv2, Chu Chu Rocket and Planet Ring. PSOv2 will very rarely lag a little bit for a short while, though it's a case of latency, due to my location (Poland, Europe) and the Sylverant server's location (USA).

Jako did a very fine tutorial of using the built-in WiFi on RasPi 3B (though most likely you'll need to upgrade the firmware first, while using the DreamPi image), which can be seen here.

It's a guess, but you may also check your RasPi's power supply and cable - if you use a poor quality USB cable, with frequent voltage drops, or a weak power supply, your RasPi may behave badly, especially with USB devices connected. I have an overclocked RasPi, with 2.1A power supply and hi-quality USB cable, and as I said - using a Dell USB modem and built-in WiFi, everything is working pretty fine.

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#7 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:53 am

Hi Kurasiu! (Crash for the DC gamers jejejej), i hope to see you soon Online with the DC jejej.

Yes, very important what you said about the power supply and the cable. If there is not enough power, the PI would reset, or work in a very low level of performance.

Be sure that the red led never blinks, or if is plugued into tv, check that any square of any color dont apears on the top right part of the image.

Thats all :-)

Kurasiu
fire

Post#8 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:06 am

Jako wrote:Hi Kurasiu! (Crash for the DC gamers jejejej), i hope to see you soon Online with the DC jejej.

Yup, I'm listed as Crash on Dreamcast Now! service. ;) I'll try to find some free time for online play soon!

But yeah, as Jako pointed out, if a coloured square appears on the top right corner of the screen, even for a fraction of a second, an under voltage occurs (it triggers at around 4.63±0.07V) and you definitely need to get a better power supply/mini USB cable. Have you checked it, The-Amazing-Mr_V?

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#9 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:48 pm

I haven't tried it yet. Maybe tonight. Friday for sure as i get done early.

I'll start be checking the power supply. If it checks out then I'll look into going wifi. Just need to find a USB keyboard now.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#10 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:40 pm

So tonight for flagging Friday. The power supply basic lyrics took a dump. The rpi seams ok though.I used the supply for my Samsung wireless charger and that seamed to work just fine. So I will be ordering a better power supply. Probably an own unit.

Is there a best way to shut the rpi down?