Load Dreamcast Isos from BBA

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ZacharyFurgeson
shadow

Load Dreamcast Isos from BBA

Post#1 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:43 pm

Hello recently I picked up a BBA from an auction online for cheap and am wondering if I could load GDIs from the BBA somehow using my PC.
Last edited by ZacharyFurgeson on Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Re: Load Dreamcast Isos from BBA

Post#2 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:14 am

so first off for that price make sure that it bares the HIT-400 or HIT-401 anywhere since there is a HIT-300 which does one tenth of the rated speeds and is pretty much exclusive to a specific web browser. from what I know about it there were Dreamcast units given out to hospital patients and the way that they communicated with their doctors were through that method. I can't seem to find the information to back it up but google is your friend. However the ability of streaming games to the system may have gotten you confused with the Gamecube in which you actually used Phantasy Star Online (not plus) to do it with.

So basically you can dump games, program with it, transfer rom data from and to, play games like PSO, Quake 3, and Toy Racer (Doom via NXDoom source port is another), but never stream games to it. Hopefully this makes a lot of sense to you.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#3 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:41 am

Nobody ever bothered to write a homebrew program to stream games via the BBA, because the DC's BIOS has an exploit to let you just burn games to CD-R and boot them that way.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:12 am

Aleron Ives wrote:Nobody ever bothered to write a homebrew program to stream games via the BBA

Actually they have. :) However it doesn't work all that well from what I understand. Never tried it myself though.

http://japanese-cake.livejournal.com/5576.html
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

ZacharyFurgeson
shadow

Post#5 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:40 pm

scaryred24 wrote:so first off for that price make sure that it bares the HIT-400 or HIT-401 anywhere since there is a HIT-300 which does one tenth of the rated speeds and is pretty much exclusive to a specific web browser. from what I know about it there were Dreamcast units given out to hospital patients and the way that they communicated with their doctors were through that method. I can't seem to find the information to back it up but google is your friend. However the ability of streaming games to the system may have gotten you confused with the Gamecube in which you actually used Phantasy Star Online (not plus) to do it with.

So basically you can dump games, program with it, transfer rom data from and to, play games like PSO, Quake 3, and Toy Racer (Doom via NXDoom source port is another), but never stream games to it. Hopefully this makes a lot of sense to you.

Its the HIT 400 so it isn't the shitty one