USB Modem, Only One Light On

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Thmanx
Anarki

USB Modem, Only One Light On

Post#1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:09 pm

So i've got everything ready to go to enjoy my wifi Pi3 dialup experience... almost

I entered all the phone number and log-in information through Quake3's interface. But when it tries to connect after 8 seconds Q3 says there was no dial-tone.

I'm using one of the USB LVIs and the modem i bought was a full duplex version
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172147989345?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

One thing to note, the 2nd light isn't on... so whats the hold up? Bad modem and better off with the Dell one?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: USB Modem, Only One Light On

Post#2 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:13 pm

Doesn't look like the modem is compatible. It appears to work with Windows only. The best one to get would be the Dell NW147 as it's the one most of us use.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#3 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:19 pm

Yeah figured it might of been a hardware compatibility issue.

lol SO CLOSE THOUGH! lol. I'll get this sorted out eventually.

btw, out of curiosity what is the performance like when using dial up over DreamPi. I'd imagine its about as good as you could ever get considering your not sharing a line with others. Does it run at effectively the 'theoretical max' of dialup?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:30 pm

Thmanx wrote:btw, out of curiosity what is the performance like when using dial up over DreamPi. I'd imagine its about as good as you could ever get considering your not sharing a line with others. Does it run at effectively the 'theoretical max' of dialup?

You'll get the maximum upload speed of the modem which is 33.6Kbps. All the games were designed to run over dial-up so they work really well using slow connections. If you've never played an online multiplayer game over dial-up then you might think it would be awful but it really isn't. I've played games like PSO and Toy Racer over both dial-up and broadband and I can hardly tell the difference. The only game I use my broadband adapter for is Quake because of the requirement for quick reaction.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

nascar241993
lithium

Post#5 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:53 pm

I've played PSOv2 with a network speed of 28.8Kbps (lol, never use the Viking DLE-200B unless it's absolutely necessary, like if you're running a Netopia setup) and it worked perfectly fine.

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#6 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:36 pm

Ended up swinging by Frys and picked up a TRENDnet USB modem.

Plugged it in, 2 green lights. Was able to log into one of the Q3 servers that had some bots in it. So its official Thmanx is Online, one more added to the list