Qemu and Dream Pi

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Qemu and Dream Pi

Post#1 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:06 pm

So since Dream Pi has become the best way of connecting for dreamcast games it got me wondering if it would work on the Qemu, so far no luck but if anyone knows how to make it work that be great!

blatz42
rebel

Re: Qemu and Dream Pi

Post#2 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:41 pm

Yeah, I was trying out QEMU with the DreamPi software the other day and couldn't get it to work, I feel like the easier solution would be to adapt the Dreampi software to work on x86 Linux, as QEMU is an emulator and not a VM, I don't know that you'd have the hardware access to the modem that you need for a PC/DC server. Of course, I could be completely wrong and talking out of my butt. :p.

kazade
Developer

Post#3 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:34 pm

So the Dreampi will work on x86 if it's correctly configured. I just don't have time to package it in RPM or DEB format or anything, and manually installing will involve a bunch of steps :(

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#4 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:26 am

kazade wrote:So the Dreampi will work on x86 if it's correctly configured. I just don't have time to package it in RPM or DEB format or anything, and manually installing will involve a bunch of steps :(

How much work are we talking? Do you have documentation of the setup you've implemented on the pi?
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Ryochan7
Teriaaaaa

Post#5 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:13 pm

If you have the proper hardware, getting a similar setup to DreamPi working on Xubuntu 16.04 only takes a matter of a few minutes. The only thing that will be missing is the dcvoip service which some people might need to connect to some games that used Gamespy; I don't seem to need the service for my connection. My configuration is not really set up to be completely automated but I don't need it to be.

For Windows users, it might be better to make a virtual appliance for Virtualbox so that a second OS installation or a second physical machine is not needed. Docker would be a cool idea but the Windows version does not seem to allow some USB hardware to be accessible via containers.

A majority of my configuration can be found at https://bitbucket.org/Ryochan7/dreampi2-custom. The major config file missing is for dnsmasq. dnsmasq is needed if you want to show up on Dreamcast Now. The default ppp options config file just uses the DreamPi DNS address instead of routing DNS queries locally.