Questions before setting up Dreampi

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

stachlj958
lithium

Questions before setting up Dreampi

Post#1 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:48 pm

I have some questions before setting up dreampi (I don't have everything to set it up yet).

1. I bought this USB modem for 3$ sealed at a habitat store. Like some USB modems, it comes with a disc to install stuff. So, will I have to connect a cd drive to the Pi to install it, or can the Pi not do that, and I'll have to download the drivers to an SD card? Will I have to install anything, or can I just connect it to the Pi? All tutorials I've seen say nothing about installing things.

2. As the box says, it is USB powered, so you don't need a power cube (whatever that is). As Kazade said here- http://blog.kazade.co.uk/ the model A modem doesn't require line voltage. Does that mean I'll need a line voltage inducer?
Attachments
IMAG0225.jpg

Xiden
Developer

Re: Questions before setting up Dreampi

Post#2 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:50 am

1. That modem looks like it should work fine. You don't have to install drivers, it should be just plug and play. When you plug it in and power the pi and wait a few moments to see if both lights come on. (FYI one light comes on instantly then the 2nd light comes on after about 30 seconds or so.)

2. I think they meant to say AC Adapter instead of power cube lol, but yeah its just powered through the usb port. Model A Dreamcast modems are suppose to work without a voltage inducer, however its possible it still may not work. If you attempt to connect and the dreamcast says:

"Cannot find dial tone"
"ISP didn't answer"

Or some other error along those lines, then you'll need a Line voltage Inducer. If it turns out you do need one email [email protected] , and he'll sell you a pre-made voltage inducer phone cable for about $10 (US only). Or you can buy a Viking DLE-200B Phone Line Simulator which is what I use. They can be expensive though at around $100+, although sometimes they are on sale for $40 on ebay.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:48 am

The Zoom 3095 won't work out-of-the-box with the Pi. You need to follow some fairly complicated instructions to get it to work. It might not be that complicated if you're skilled with the Linux command line but it would likely be over most people's heads. You're better off going with the Dell NW147 if you want a modem that will work without any effort. Regardless of which one you go with, it will require a line voltage inducer or telephone line simulator; most, if not all, USB modems do.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

stachlj958
lithium

Post#4 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:46 pm

Xiden wrote:1. That modem looks like it should work fine. You don't have to install drivers, it should be just plug and play. When you plug it in and power the pi and wait a few moments to see if both lights come on. (FYI one light comes on instantly then the 2nd light comes on after about 30 seconds or so.)

2. I think they meant to say AC Adapter instead of power cube lol, but yeah its just powered through the usb port. Model A Dreamcast modems are suppose to work without a voltage inducer, however its possible it still may not work. If you attempt to connect and the dreamcast says:

"Cannot find dial tone"
"ISP didn't answer"

Or some other error along those lines, then you'll need a Line voltage Inducer. If it turns out you do need one email [email protected] , and he'll sell you a pre-made voltage inducer phone cable for about $10 (US only). Or you can buy a Viking DLE-200B Phone Line Simulator which is what I use. They can be expensive though at around $100+, although sometimes they are on sale for $40 on ebay.

I'll try connecting it. If it doesn't work, I'll get the line voltage inducer, and a new modem if I need it. I saw it sealed for cheao, so I figured I'd go ahead and buy it, whether or not it would work.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#5 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:32 am

Xiden wrote:2. I think they meant to say AC Adapter instead of power cube lol, but yeah its just powered through the usb port. Model A Dreamcast modems are suppose to work without a voltage inducer, however its possible it still may not work. If you attempt to connect and the dreamcast says:

"Cannot find dial tone"
"ISP didn't answer"

Can anyone confirm if the Model A Dreamcast modem will or will not work with the Dreampi without a voltage inducer?

Back when I made my de-pc server I used the model A and did not need to make a voltage inducer with it and that is the same Dreamcast modem that I intend to use for this Dreampi project once my materials come in.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:54 pm

Gary_b wrote:Can anyone confirm if the Model A Dreamcast modem will or will not work with the Dreampi without a voltage inducer?

A model A modem doesn't require voltage but the USB modem usually does. I know a serial modem with a serial-to-USB adapter has worked without a line voltage inducer. It really depends on the modem you use. What type of modem do you plan on using?
PSO Characters:

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#7 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:33 pm

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:46 pm

Gary_b wrote:I ordered this one yesterday.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-56K-V-9 ... SwbqpT0LGc

Yeah, that will require a line voltage inducer. I do sell them if you want to buy a pre-made one instead of building one yourself: http://www.dreamcastlive.net/shop.html.
PSO Characters:

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#9 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:49 pm

Can you link to one that will not require one? I can make my own I just don't want to. That is the whole reason that I tracked down a model A modem back when i made my pc-dc server

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#10 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:04 pm

Gary_b wrote:Can you link to one that will not require one? I can make my own I just don't want to. That is the whole reason that I tracked down a model A modem back when i made my pc-dc server

I'm not aware of any USB modems that don't require it. I've heard this serial modem works with a serial-to-USB adapter but obviously it will add a lot of bulk to the whole setup.
PSO Characters: