Dreamcast games support BBA

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

stachlj958
lithium

Dreamcast games support BBA

Post#1 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:01 pm

Will anymore dreamcast games support the Broadband adapter? I know a few of them don't, and I was wondering if there were plans to in the future. I'm debating whether or not going with a BBA or Dreampi. Are the network speeds bad with dial up?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Dreamcast games support BBA

Post#2 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:56 pm

There are other games that support the broadband adapter but they are no longer online. These games include POD: Speedzone, Bomberman Online, Outtrigger, and Unreal Tournament. Propeller Arena is another one but that was never released. Some of these games may be brought back online in the future but there's no guarantee. I'd recommend going with DreamPi though as it's supported by all current and future online games. The only game you'll notice a huge difference between dial-up and broadband is Quake III Arena. All the other games work very well over dial-up. These games were designed to be played over a 56k dial-up connection so it's to be expected.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#3 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:06 pm

Let's put it this way. The Dreamcast came out when Broadband just started showing up in offices and by the time it was discontinued it found it's way to residential areas. Most all of the games uses dial-up. now it wasn't that dial-up was too slow for such tasks since Sega knew that having their networking hardware wouldn't have been nearly as successful if the slow speeds, high ping, and latency would have been a problem. It does en fact rear it head up in some intense games like Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament where twitch like reflexes are needed to be able to properly enjoy the game.

Now the only three games that had their servers resurrected by fans or could end up using some kind of tcp/ip or direct connection are Toy Racer, Quake 3, and Phantasy Star Online v2. Phantasy Star Online v1 needed some trickery to get it to work on a BBA, but I would recommend V2 since V1 in terms of stability isn't considered the greatest from what I've seen. Out of all of the games the only game that would truly benefit from owning a BBA would be Quake 3 Arena because if it's competitive nature. You wouldn't even notice the difference with PSO since the game isn't that intense towards your network speed maybe except for some very negligible delay on your end when you can do any kind of matchmaking with others and some load times. I would say that you should put off buying a BBA for now since only one game really needs it and compared to PC, Quake 3 Arena has a acquired taste to it. Hell not you may know this already but the latest official stable build allows you to play against people on modded Xbox Origional consoles.

Bottom line here I would say to go out and get the necessary parts for Dream-pi. There is so much going for it that not only it is actively developed by the community, but it has so much going for it. Me personally I would say it's a little too ambitious, but even if you don't care with what extras it currently offers, it will be more than welcome to buy one.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#4 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:26 pm

Go for the the DreamPi. All of the games don't need more than 56k bandwidth, besides quake which is still playable with 56k. They were developed to run well using a modem, the bba support was just an extra

The only thing a BBA has an advantage with is being able to connect it to your PC and load small programs, back up your vmu saves etc

It'd be cool to see new players
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:06 pm

Yea go for the DreamPI. In the long run you will have access to more games. In the future, if all the BBA games came back online it would justify the cost a bit more.

Sent from my SCL21 using Tapatalk

petter3k
Developer

Post#6 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:23 pm

There *might* be released a development/recompiled release of another game which supports the broadband adapter, released by an anonymous user at the popular torrent sites in the near future.
The commercial release however, does not.

Please be patient though.
http://www.dcserv.org - NOT up to date.
Will be online for educational purposes, for now.