How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

AndehX
shadow

Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#41 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:35 am

I also have a question regarding the line voltage inducer...

I would rather not have to use 9v batteries (I mean I will to start off with, but not long term) I would prefer to simply use an 18v DC adapter. Is there anything I should know when chosing an appropriate DC adapter? What kind of amps would be suitable? 1amp? less than that?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#42 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:50 am

AndehX wrote:I would rather not have to use 9v batteries (I mean I will to start off with, but not long term) I would prefer to simply use an 18v DC adapter. Is there anything I should know when chosing an appropriate DC adapter? What kind of amps would be suitable? 1amp? less than that?

I've made quite a few AC adapters ranging anywhere from 0.3A to 1A and they all work fine.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

AndehX
shadow

Post#43 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:58 am

ok cool, i'll go with this 880mA 18v adapter ive found on ebay. I plan on building the circuit into a neat little enclosure with a proper socket for the DC adapter, just to keep things as clean as possible.

AndehX
shadow

Post#44 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:05 am

had to buy an RJ11 cable since the one that came with the modem only had 2 pins.

which of the wires in this cable, would I attach the voltage inducer to? The brown one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ11-to-RJ11- ... 1715344301

Also the modem I bought, only has 2 pins in the RJ11 socket. Is that normal?
Last edited by AndehX on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#45 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:13 am

AndehX wrote:had to buy an RJ11 cable since the one that came with the modem only had 2 pins.

which of the wires in this cable, would I attach the voltage inducer to? The brown one?

Technically the 2 pin/single line RJ-11 cable should work fine. Only two wires are used. But yeah, in the one you linked to, you would attach the LVI to the brown wire.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

AndehX
shadow

Post#46 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:14 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
AndehX wrote:had to buy an RJ11 cable since the one that came with the modem only had 2 pins.

Technically the 2 pin/single line RJ-11 cable should work fine. Only two wires are used. But yeah, in the one you linked to, you would attach the LVI to the brown wire.

oh ok, I thought it needed all 4 pins. Thats fine then.

AndehX
shadow

Post#47 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:27 am

Got everything set up and it all works perfectly. Forgotten what Quake was like with lag :lol:

Built the voltage inducer into a neat little box, using an 18v DC adapter (multimeter tested it at 24v but w/e)
2016-08-08 15.23.32.jpg

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#48 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:46 pm

is it possible to emulate dream pi on a computer and cut out buying a raspberry pi?

AndehX
shadow

Post#49 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:27 pm

good idea, but right now, probably not, as I would assume that would have been the first thought when developing dreampi. Maybe it only works under linux or something?

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#50 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:45 pm

AndehX wrote:good idea, but right now, probably not, as I would assume that would have been the first thought when developing dreampi. Maybe it only works under linux or something?

I would assume that Dreampi was supposed to run on raspberry pi only that that isn't really the case. It's just a modified debian server os with only the Dreampi 2 code built into it. Now as for programs like Virtual Box I don't think it can run on it in it's intentional state it is in.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image