Help me connect with DreamPi

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Help me connect with DreamPi

Post#1 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:13 am

Ok so I got all the parts needed to make this work for Christmas and I'm just testing it now.

I installed NOOBS on my Pi and installed Raspbian and booted it all up. Then I installed DreamPi on the SD card using the instructions on Kazade's site. When I set everything up and booted DreamPi everything appeared to load correctly but two processes failed - "not running dhcpcd beacause etc/network/interfaces...failed!" and "defines some interfaces that will use a DHCP client...failed!".

I then asked me to log in which I did with the default Pi username. And I'm left with -

pi@dreampi $

What do I do now?! I've set up my ISP using Dream Key 3 but I didn't know what to put as my username/passowrd so I left it as 'sega' for both.
aka DavidHK on DC games.

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Re: Help me connect with DreamPi

Post#2 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:06 pm

Here's the messages I get -
Attachments
IMG_8948.JPG
aka DavidHK on DC games.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:17 pm

Have you tried connecting regardless of the errors? The login prompt is what you should see when it's ready to connect. You don't actually need to log in.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#4 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:58 pm

After logging in I see the prompt -

Pi@dreampi ~$ (btw is that normal?)

After that I try to connect and it won't. Both modem lights are on if that means anything.
aka DavidHK on DC games.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:49 pm

dave_van_damn wrote:After logging in I see the prompt -

Pi@dreampi ~$ (btw is that normal?)

Yes but like I said, you don't actually have to log in.

dave_van_damn wrote:After that I try to connect and it won't. Both modem lights are on if that means anything.

That's what you should see. It seems like everything is working except for the actual internet connection. You have an ethernet cable going directly from your router to the Raspberry Pi, correct?
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

kazade
Developer

Post#6 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:01 pm

You can probably ignore that error. Have you tried dialing from the Dreamcast? What happens?

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#7 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:43 am

pcwzrd13, kazade = if I try connecting to google.com with Dream Key 3 it fails and asks me to check my internet connection.

I'm not sure I'm totally doing this correctly, so here's a break down of what I've been doing.

1. connect everything up (Pi, USB fax modem, voltage line, dreamcast)
2. turn on DC
3. turn on Pi and wait until it asks me to log in
4. log into DreamPi and try to connect to google on DC
5. DC says to check internet connection, Pi still says 'pi@dreampi $'

Do I need to enter any special commands to get it working? I notice someone on Kazade's site said that he "started dreampi.py as in the video" - am I supposed to type something special on the commend line to get dreampi.py running?

btw I'm using an EU modem so I have 2 9v batteries.

I've attached a screenshot from Kazade's Youtube video, I don't see ANY of this when I try to connect :(

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
aka DavidHK on DC games.

kazade
Developer

Post#8 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:32 am

You don't need to login to the raspberry pi. In fact you don't even need a screen connected! I can see youre using an older release there, try version 1.0 from my blog: blog.kazade.co.uk everything else looks perfectly fine. If that output doesn't change when you dial then something isn't right with your line voltage.

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#9 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:51 am

kazade wrote:You don't need to login to the raspberry pi. In fact you don't even need a screen connected! I can see youre using an older release there, try version 1.0 from my blog: blog.kazade.co.uk everything else looks perfectly fine. If that output doesn't change when you dial then something isn't right with your line voltage.

I've downloaded version 1.0 but still can't get it to work. I'm using a PAL dc so I've wired two 9v as you described. Here's a few photos of the line voltage inducer - have I wired the two batteries correctly (red to black)?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edit - Ok I've uploaded a video to show what's happening. First minute is me setting up dial up using XPD (does it look correct?). Skip to 1 min to see the DreamPi loading screen and errors. Is this how DreamPi is supposed to look?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bkFlXk0yEc
aka DavidHK on DC games.

kazade
Developer

Post#10 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:48 am

Your connection is failing way too quickly for it to be a DreamPi problem. Everything looks absolutely perfect on the DreamPi side, also your line voltage inducer looks good, but there might still be some kind of problem with it, maybe a bad connection?

Have you tried any other game or browser?

The only way to debug this is to log into the Pi with the username: pi and the password: raspberry. Then run the following command:

sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog

Type "raspberry" as the password again, then watch the output as you connect to the internet (if you only have one screen then switch to the dreamcast and when it fails then switch back). If you can take a picture of the output that would help. Hit CTRL+C to exit the output and then CTRL+D to logout.