Help me connect with DreamPi

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Re: Help me connect with DreamPi

Post#11 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:51 am

kazade wrote:Your connection is failing way too quickly for it to be a DreamPi problem. Everything looks absolutely perfect on the DreamPi side, also your line voltage inducer looks good, but there might still be some kind of problem with it, maybe a bad connection?

Have you tried any other game or browser?

The only way to debug this is to log into the Pi with the username: pi and the password: raspberry. Then run the following command:

sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog

Type "raspberry" as the password again, then watch the output as you connect to the internet (if you only have one screen then switch to the dreamcast and when it fails then switch back). If you can take a picture of the output that would help. Hit CTRL+C to exit the output and then CTRL+D to logout.

Hello! Yes I've tried PSO 2 and Quake III also.

Ok I ran the command "sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog" (although admittedly I screwed it up the first time!) and got this result -

kazade wrote:Type "raspberry" as the password again, then watch the output as you connect to the internet

Do I just literally enter "raspberry" or do I need to do something before I enter the password? I tried just entering "raspberry" and nothing happened so I couldn't proceed any further (see below!)

EDIT!
I shutdown the Pi and logged in and entered "sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog" again but this time I got this result -

At this point I tried connecting again with the DC but alas, no dice. DC still says modem issues and DreamPi doesn't react at all.

Any ideas? :)
aka DavidHK on DC games.

kazade
Developer

Post#12 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:30 am

OK, this is exactly what I needed. The problem is definitely somewhere between the Dreamcast and the Pi (so your line voltage inducer), possible causes are:

- Not enough voltage on the line (are you sure the batteries are full?)
- Some kind of bad connection in the line voltage inducer
- A bad cable

If you have a landline telephone, you could try attaching that in place of the Dreamcast. If the line voltage is working you should hear touch tones when you press the keys.

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#13 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:54 pm

kazade wrote:OK, this is exactly what I needed. The problem is definitely somewhere between the Dreamcast and the Pi (so your line voltage inducer), possible causes are:

- Not enough voltage on the line (are you sure the batteries are full?)
- Some kind of bad connection in the line voltage inducer
- A bad cable

If you have a landline telephone, you could try attaching that in place of the Dreamcast. If the line voltage is working you should hear touch tones when you press the keys.

Ok, I think I might know what the problem is. I remember when I was making it I couldn't find a 450 Ohm resistor anywhere so had to go for 470 Ohm....perhaps that's it? Or maybe it's the actual telephone wire. Either way, I'll buy new components and make another one. Sadly no landline so can't test that.
aka DavidHK on DC games.

kazade
Developer

Post#14 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:52 am

Maybe try something as low as 330 or 380. 450 is what I calculated would produce the same milliamps at 18v but maybe I was wrong. I'm on PAL but I'm using 380 (I think) just because I only discovered the 18v thing by adding a battery to an existing inducer. So try 380 and let me know the outcome :)

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#15 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:54 am

kazade wrote:Maybe try something as low as 330 or 380. 450 is what I calculated would produce the same milliamps at 18v but maybe I was wrong. I'm on PAL but I'm using 380 (I think) just because I only discovered the 18v thing by adding a battery to an existing inducer. So try 380 and let me know the outcome :)

SUCCESS! I used a 350 ohm one and now it's working! Thanks for your time and patience. FYI I'm using a EU modem on a Japanese machine (I tried the EU modem on an EU machine and that didn't work either but I suspect it will now)
aka DavidHK on DC games.

kazade
Developer

Post#16 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:00 am

Thanks! I need to update my instructions!

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#17 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:04 am

I'm getting a lot of "line busy" notices when I try and connect - on 4x4 Evo, Quake III and XDP Dreams...
aka DavidHK on DC games.

kazade
Developer

Post#18 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:32 pm

Is the Dreampi ready? I've only seen this happen if I reconnect before the Dreampi has detected a previous hangup

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#19 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:12 pm

kazade wrote:Is the Dreampi ready? I've only seen this happen if I reconnect before the Dreampi has detected a previous hangup

Yeah it is...it's also connecting sometimes and then the line is going dead/connection is being lost.
aka DavidHK on DC games.

kazade
Developer

Post#20 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:23 am

I've never seen that happen before.. Maybe a loose connection on the cable?