Question about connecting

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Cornerb0y
stalker

Question about connecting

Post#1 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:34 pm

So my main Dreamcast has been moved to my bedroom. I'd like to play online, but would have to have a line going from my game room to my bedroom (it's only across the hall, but still annoying). My pc has wireless via a USB, and was wondering if I could connect my Dreamcast to the PC via the network cable and play online that way? I couldn't find any info on it, but if this is possible, please let me know!

BlueCrab
Developer

Re: Question about connecting

Post#2 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:54 pm

Assuming you're talking about going from a Dreamcast BBA to your laptop's ethernet port, it should be relatively easy to do so by just setting up connection sharing. I know that on OS X is is extremely easy to do, at least. I don't know how one would go about setting it up on Windows, but I'm sure it's not that hard to do.

That said, you run more of a risk of having lag and packet loss issues when you throw the wireless network into the mix.

killbot80k
fire

Post#3 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:00 pm

I suppose you could do it through the PC but you would need to configure the Ethernet port to forward packets out to the Dreamcast which would effectively turn it into a wireless ethernet bridge. I'm not sure the setup involved would be worth the hassle. My suggestion would be to buy an actual wireless ethernet bridge like the one here. I have used these before with good results.

Alternatively, you can also get a powerline adapter. I am currently using the one here and it works great. No configuration needed. Added bonus is you get a more reliable wired connection.

TacT
Uber

Post#4 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:04 pm

Go to your network devices in the control panel or settings, and right click your ethernet connection that you plug in the dreamcast, go to properties or sharing there should be a check box to Enable sharing your internet over that connection.

it SHOULD work used to do it long ago when didn't have wifi on 360 using a laptop wifi

it's still thinking.

Cornerb0y
stalker

Post#5 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:35 am

Got it to work! Thanks guys!

TacT
Uber

Post#6 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:14 pm

I do highly recommend those netgear Power Line lan adapters he mentioned, they work great and removes the problems with Wifi crap =)

it's still thinking.