Alien Front Online Server Update: Now Online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.
petter3k
Developer

Re: Alien Front Online Server: Work in Progress

Post#21 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:59 pm

Is it seriously only going to be possible to use it over dial up??

..it never supported the broadband adapter in the first place, I dont see why some of you are mentioning it at all - in fact most games did not.

If there was some easy way to add support for the broadband adapter, don't you think the other online dial-up games would've supported it?

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#22 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:07 am

Fair point I guess, but if you've got the original code for the servers now I would've thought there would at least be some way to add it in there while writing new servers, though I guess my understanding of it is somewhat limited. Anyway im sure there will be a way around it
Guild Card: Odin #10973
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my youtube channel!http://www.youtube.com/user/Antonyv1982?feature=mhee

petter3k
Developer

Post#23 » Fri May 01, 2015 5:05 am

There will be new servers, but I have never stated that they will be the originals.
Please keep in mind that client and servers are two different things. If the client will not recognize a piece of hardware, it does not help if the servers support it. In fact, the servers will not care about what kind of connection you are using.

Wombat
GD-ROM

Post#24 » Fri May 01, 2015 5:12 am

Depending on the difficulty (which I assume is high), time effectively it's probably more lucrative to spend time on making an all in one solution (like the moband adapter and a more streamlined raspi solution) for the dial-up modem instead of hacking in BBA support title for title.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#25 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:28 am

Yeah thats what I mean, I didnt mean you had said you would so please dont misunderstand, im sure someone will come up with a solution, I might have investigate into it myself
Guild Card: Odin #10973
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my youtube channel!http://www.youtube.com/user/Antonyv1982?feature=mhee

Nico0020
MegaDeath

Post#26 » Sat May 09, 2015 8:25 am

With news of this game, I decided to play it again. I haven't played this game probably in almost 10 years, and I gotta say it REALLY holds up. Game is beautiful on VGA along with its nice 60FPS.

I forgot how difficult the campaign can be. I started a new save file and I'm slowly making my way through it. Some missions require absolute perfection.

I have a BBA and no landline here, but if this game comes back online, I'm gonna have to figure out how to get a PC link or netopia rig setup.

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Post#27 » Sun May 10, 2015 10:58 am

I remember passing this one up and the end of the DC life cycle. They were baskets full of it at a Wal Mart at cut rack prices. I should have gotten it then. I was stuck in my fighting game craze though and missed any thing that wasn't a fighting game. I'll be getting this one shortly! I've always wanted to give it go.
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.

namine207
photon blast

Post#28 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:43 pm

Really excited for this. Alien Front Online was one of the games that really stood out to me when I was considering getting a dreamcast years ago. Now I have it, but I've been holding out for when the online play is restored. :)

Radkin
PSOaholic

Post#29 » Fri May 15, 2015 4:30 pm

Very late to this news. How exciting. This is something I've been hoping for since owning a Dreamcast. I'll have to make a PC-DC server if this happens! :)
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube
Steam ID: RadkinDC

Nico0020
MegaDeath

Post#30 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:53 am

Any update on this? There was some testing awhile back I saw on twitter.