Alien Front Online Server Update: Now Online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Re: Alien Front Online Server WIP *Edit: Now Online

Post#291 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:28 am

petter3k wrote:Like other games like Toy Racer, some routers are unstable in their configurations (my old one included, my new Asus works like a treat) and some people will have to bypass their router and plug their Pi directly into the modem unfortunately. That should solve most peoples problems who use the DreamPI and still have prolbems. For those who do not - the PatcherDisc is being made by BlueCrab so whenever he has the time, it will be released for everyone with a Netopia setup or real dial-up.

+1 for Asus Routers being awesome :)

Xiden
Developer

Post#292 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:29 am

UglyGoblinBoy wrote:Here is my DMZ setting.

Untitled.jpg

As peter said, try plugging your pi directly into your modem and then connect :)

UglyGoblinBoy
rebel

Post#293 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:51 pm

The modem/router I am using is a SR505N, it's a combo and I've plugged directly into it with zero success. The only thing I can think of is re-flashing my micro SD, but other than Planet Ring I've successfully (as most of you know) played all the other games online for hours at a time. Could it be that "0" in my IP is causing problems, everyone else seems to have a DC IP with a "1" instead. It's really the only thing I can think of at this point.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#294 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:38 pm

try 99 instead of 98?

I have to use 99 for Q3A.. but thats with a BBA not a Pi...

Xiden
Developer

Post#295 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:49 pm

UglyGoblinBoy wrote:The modem/router I am using is a SR505N, it's a combo and I've plugged directly into it with zero success. The only thing I can think of is re-flashing my micro SD, but other than Planet Ring I've successfully (as most of you know) played all the other games online for hours at a time. Could it be that "0" in my IP is causing problems, everyone else seems to have a DC IP with a "1" instead. It's really the only thing I can think of at this point.

Ah I didn't realize your modem was also your router. Makes me wonder if your isp is blocking packets to like Tact. I this case you might need to summon the power of shu :)

Xiden
Developer

Post#296 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:17 pm

UglyGoblinBoy wrote:The modem/router I am using is a SR505N, it's a combo and I've plugged directly into it with zero success. The only thing I can think of is re-flashing my micro SD, but other than Planet Ring I've successfully (as most of you know) played all the other games online for hours at a time. Could it be that "0" in my IP is causing problems, everyone else seems to have a DC IP with a "1" instead. It's really the only thing I can think of at this point.

You could use free online port foward checking tools

And check all the ports listed at the bottom of http://www.dreamcastlive.net/mobile/con ... guide.html to see if they are open or not.

If not you might contact your isp and ask how to open them up :)

Shuouma
Developer

Post#297 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:10 am

UglyGoblinBoy wrote:but other than Planet Ring I've successfully (as most of you know) played all the other games online for hours at a time.

Yes, you can group the games into groups of how they have implemented the game play. Certain games are heavily TCP based, those almost always work (like Q3 and PSO).

Then we have the UDP games: which can be divided into two groups, one where we have port to port communication, for example,

ChuChu have UDP 9789 <--> UDP 9789, this is usually OK with the ISP and also known nowadays as UDP hole punching (Tetris is another example).

The second group of UDP games is the ones where we have several UDP ports on the server sending traffic to one port on the DC. Those games are *drum rolls* AFO and Planet Ring.
For example, Planet ring server utilizes UDP ports 7649-7654 and the DC receives everything on
UDP port 7648.

Example (Planet Ring):
DC <-> Router <-> ISP <-> Server

The DC sends a UDP packet with source port: 1025, destination port: 7649 to the server.
The Server sends UDP packet with source port: 7649, destination port: 7648 to the DC (but really your public IP)

The router has no clue where to forward the incoming UDP packet from the server,
that is why usually DMZ fixes that issue, where we say, if you don't know where to
send the packet send it to the DC.

If you are really unlucky the ISP is not fond of allowing those packets through, or your
router just drop them.

UglyGoblinBoy wrote:Could it be that "0" in my IP is causing problems, everyone else seems to have a DC IP with a "1" instead.

This depens on how your Local Area Network is setup, 192.168.0.X/24 or 192.168.1.X/24.
Easiest way to find out which is how you access the router/modem page, if you go to 192.168.0.1
then you should use "0", if 192.168.1.1 set "1".

Xiden
Developer

Post#298 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:19 am

Shuouma wrote:
UglyGoblinBoy wrote:but other than Planet Ring I've successfully (as most of you know) played all the other games online for hours at a time.

Yes, you can group the games into groups of how they have implemented the game play. Certain games are heavily TCP based, those almost always work (like Q3 and PSO).

Then we have the UDP games: which can be divided into two groups, one where we have port to port communication, for example,

ChuChu have UDP 9789 <--> UDP 9789, this is usually OK with the ISP and also known nowadays as UDP hole punching (Tetris is another example).

The second group of UDP games is the ones where we have several UDP ports on the server sending traffic to one port on the DC. Those games are *drum rolls* AFO and Planet Ring.
For example, Planet ring server utilizes UDP ports 7649-7654 and the DC receives everything on
UDP port 7648.

Example (Planet Ring):
DC <-> Router <-> ISP <-> Server

The DC sends a UDP packet with source port: 1025, destination port: 7649 to the server.
The Server sends UDP packet with source port: 7649, destination port: 7648 to the DC (but really your public IP)

The router has no clue where to forward the incoming UDP packet from the server,
that is why usually DMZ fixes that issue, where we say, if you don't know where to
send the packet send it to the DC.

If you are really unlucky the ISP is not fond of allowing those packets through, or your
router just drop them.

UglyGoblinBoy wrote:Could it be that "0" in my IP is causing problems, everyone else seems to have a DC IP with a "1" instead.

This depens on how your Local Area Network is setup, 192.168.0.X/24 or 192.168.1.X/24.
Easiest way to find out which is how you access the router/modem page, if you go to 192.168.0.1
then you should use "0", if 192.168.1.1 set "1".

Do you think the solution you found for tact would also be able to be applied here to go around the isps blocked packets?

Shuouma
Developer

Post#299 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:03 am

Xiden wrote:Do you think the solution you found for tact would also be able to be applied here to go around the isps blocked packets?

I think 95% of the issues are router related or that other devices
in the network are reserving those ports. That is why you sometimes
need port-forwarding and DMZ. The DMZ device is the last device to
get the traffic, that is, the router goes through and check all
related/established connections and port-forwarding and if not hit it
sends the traffic to the DMZ device (it is pretty much a waste bin).
By adding a port-forward hopefully you can force that port to the DC
instead of another device in the network.

The solution I did for Tact can not be applied to this issue, but I
will investigate if we can have a "common protocol" between
the DC Dreampi and Server(s).

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#300 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:07 pm

yeah i have no clue what issue im having as i have done the port forwarding ect and planet ring works, so i know that's no the issue. I have yet to try plugging the pi directly in the router but more likely il just wait for blue crabs release.