Dreamcast Online Security?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

PSO
dark night

Dreamcast Online Security?

Post#1 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Does connecting to the Internet with my dreamcast pose a security threat to my network?

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: Dreamcast Online Security?

Post#2 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:44 pm

PSO wrote:Does connecting to the Internet with my dreamcast pose a security threat to my network?

No.

PSO
dark night

Post#3 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:46 pm

SMiTH wrote:
PSO wrote:Does connecting to the Internet with my dreamcast pose a security threat to my network?

No.

How? I'd imagine there's no security at all.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:18 pm

What is there to exploit on a sega dreamcast?
Flash Memory? Bios?
Just because the dreamcast uses an outdated browser doesnt mean that it would become compromised simply by using it on the internet.
This doesn't mean that it couldn't be done.
But, why would anyone care to do this?

The only dreamcast software I have ever heard of was mentioned years ago called "phone home". The software used modified linux networking tools to launch denial of service attacks.
It was never public and was shown at a security conference as a proof of concept.

Oh, there was also some dreamcast game that had an exploit on the game disc if it was put in a pc cd-rom drive. The manufacturer later patched this exploit.

Connecting the dreamcast to the internet is not going to compromise any security on your local network whatsoever.
Judging by your account name here at dreamcast-talk I would assume you are familiar with PSO??
Look at the history of that game and the amount of hacking that was involved..

That would be the only thing I could really offer about the subject.
Relax, and enjoy dreamcast online gaming.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#5 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:28 pm

I recall there was a hack that you could use to corrupt the DC's flash memory or BIOS, thus leading to a system that wouldn't boot anymore, but I don't know if that was really true.

The DC has nowhere to store malicious code, because you can't modify the contents of the game disc the system is playing, as everything in RAM gets cleared when you cut the power. As such, it isn't really possible for your DC to get infected with a virus or anything. People who write viruses want to infect as many people as possible, and you'd never reach that goal by targetting the DC with your malware. There's no reason to try to infect all 50 people worldwide who still use their DCs online. :P
"Fear the HUnewearl."

petter3k
Developer

Post#6 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:02 am

there might be some exiting news very soon that i think will increase that number alot
http://www.dcserv.org - NOT up to date.
Will be online for educational purposes, for now.