PC-DC server and Quake 3 help

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

nerdyguy64
undertow

PC-DC server and Quake 3 help

Post#1 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:30 am

It has been a while since I have posted on Dreamcast-talk and it is good to be back.

Alright down to business. I recently connected my dreamcast to the internet by running crunchbang (linux distro) in a virtual environment on my mac.

For reference, I used this tutorial: http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... php?t=9630

To begin, I am able to connect to the internet (load webpages, etc.) in PlanetWeb just fine. In the tutorial, that I just linked, the author states that in the options file in the directory /etc/ppp/ you add a line that begins as ms-dns followed by a space and the "ip address of wherever you'd like to connect to." (tutorial) When it comes to PlanetWeb (or any other dreamcast web browser) I put my default gateway here (for example mine is 10.0.0.1) and it works beautifully. (Side note, I keep the primary and secondary dns on the actual dreamcast as 0.0.0.0)

Now my problem is with Quake 3. If I keep all my settings the same as I did for the PlanetWeb (that means I don't change the default gateway ip or any settings on the dreamcast) I can surprisingly connect (using the swap method). Of course the master list doesn't load but what is odd is that I am not able to connect to any servers manually. I type the server information (IP_ADDRESS:PORT or just the IP address) but no information appears when I hit the "info" button.

Now in regards to getting the master list, I tried changing the ip next to the ms-dns to dreamcast-talks master list (100.40.25.69) but I was given the same result as I had if I just kept it as the default gateway. I even tried changing the 0.0.0.0 list on my dreamcast for the primary DNS to dreamcast-talks master server but still, I had no luck.

What am I doing wrong here? Can anyone shed some light on for me?

The fact that I can connect tells me that it must be a DNS problem. In addition, why can I not connect to any servers manually if I just leave everything the same as in if I was in PlanetWeb?

aldair
Metallic

Re: PC-DC server and Quake 3 help

Post#2 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:33 pm

Watch the video: