Raspberry Pi PC-DC Server

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Gumbo
lithium

Raspberry Pi PC-DC Server

Post#1 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:39 am

Hey everyone, Just thought id show my PC-DC setup, Its not 100% yet, I'm still trying to figure out my 9v supply for the voltage inducer, but apart from that its pretty much done.

It consists of a Raspberry Pi and a USRobotics USR5637 USB modem.
I've manage to fit them inside a Raspberry Pi case I had lying around.

Its headless, Once its got power, give it about 20 seconds and then you can press the button on the case and the connect button on the dreamcast and it will dial in and connect, So much more convenient compared to the vmware alternative.

Was a bit of a tight squeeze to get both the pi and the modem in the case, but it did it eventually.

There are a couple of pictures below, sorry about the quality, I cant find my main camera at the moment.

--------SD IMG Now Available--------
Raspberry Pi SD Card image is available below, Please read the README thoroughly.

--- UPDATE 1 25/01/2015 ---
Added dial-tone generation to the answer script, It will generate a 4 second dial-tone before answering the call. This is for games that don't support blind dial, I have tested it on a few games and it works perfectly well, Due to adding the dial tone timing is quite strict (especially with Max Pool), but basically just press the button (or run the script) a split second before press the connect button on the Dreamcast.
Once again, this has only been tested on a USRobotics USR5637 USB Modem.

If you wish, instead of downloading the new SD img, you can just replace the answer.sh in the edit folder with the new one available at sourceforge.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pi2dc/files/

Gumbo.
Attachments
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG
Last edited by Gumbo on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wombat
Vagabond

Re: My PC-DC Setup

Post#2 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:06 am

Looking good! And judging on the photo's you use Wi-Fi to connect the Pi to your local network?

Gumbo
lithium

Post#3 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:35 am

Wombat wrote:Looking good! And judging on the photo's you use Wi-Fi to connect the Pi to your local network?

Indeed Wi-Fi is used, at the moment im still trying to decided on what to do with the line voltage inducer, I basically have 2 options, Run it using a 9v battery, or use a step up from 5v to 9v and have it pretty much self contained inside the Pi Case. The latter would be more difficult to achieve, but would look nicer.

I would also like to get rid of the USB cable sticking out the side, but if i do, it would be a more permanent thing and wouldn't be able to use the pi for my Naomi.

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#4 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:59 am

You could probably use a 9v power adapter and linear voltage regulator 7805 to power your raspberry pi and modem. I'm not sure how much current they require though you may need a few.
Regards,
brourke228

Gumbo
lithium

Post#5 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:05 am

brourke228 wrote:You could probably use a 9v power adapter and linear voltage regulator 7805 to power your raspberry pi and modem. I'm not sure how much current they require though you may need a few.

I never actually considered using a 9v adapter with a regulator, that sounds like it might be a plan, as for current, the Pi and the modem are currently pulling about 1 Amp when its all in use.

As for the line voltage inducer, I've gone for the 9v battery temporarily, its kinda ugly, but it does the job.

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#6 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:53 pm

How about adding a 9V rechargable battery in there with a USB-connection, this way you can just use a cheap USB-charger to keep it powered on.

edit; lol you don't even need a USB-charger, you could just use one of the Pi's USB ports :geek:

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#7 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:11 pm

Sooo Nice! So much smaller than the Netopia/TLS option! Great Idea! :mrgreen:

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#8 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Gumbo,

Which DC modem do you have, a type B I assume, or a type A?
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Gumbo
lithium

Post#9 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:54 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:Gumbo,

Which DC modem do you have, a type B I assume, or a type A?

Honestly, I'm not sure, I have used both a Japanese and European modem and both needed the line voltage inducer, The Japanese modem says its an A, but like I said, it didn't work stand-alone.

Igor Isaias Banlian
shadow

Post#10 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:26 am

Gumbo, you could provide us a copy of your SD card, with the entire system ready? I also have a Raspberry Pi and would like to test it! :mrgreen:

Your system only works with the model of USB modem you mentioned, or works with any USB modem model? :geek:

Sorry for my bad english! :oops:

Regards,
Igor Isaias Banlian