4x4 Evolution getting online guide

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

TacT
Uber

Re: 4x4 Evolution getting online guide

Post#41 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:58 am

I still get error contacting master server also after getting a new modem and routers.
My previous combo modem I could disable the firewall was the only way I could Ever play 4x4 for all these years.
I assume that its Not my ISP Since it works when disabling my local firewall . motorola brand modems fyi.

I'm going to try another modem or router this week. let you all know how it goes. im so frustratingly anxious to play 4x4 and starlancer damit

it's still thinking.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#42 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:52 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:So, hopefully the Direct IP option works. Question is, what is that IP address? To note, I believe once someone successfully connects and "hosts" a game, they can post their IP addy for others to connect to it. If anyone wants to try this, PM me and I will see if I can host a game being I can get that far.

if youre around later today and want to try this Im up for it..

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#43 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:36 am

It's really odd that you guys are having an issue with 4x4. Out of all the games that are online, it's the only one that has the "original" master server still running. Theoretically it would be the one game that no one has an issue connecting to. :lol:
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#44 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:05 pm

story of my life.. :|

just wait till i start getting into PSO.. oh the troubles Im anticipating.. BUrN a DiSc?!? :lol:

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#45 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:29 am

ok.. so.. unless someone knows that it doesnt work I want to try the manual connect option that comes up when contacting the master server times out..

what would that IP:port be?

Xiden
Developer

Post#46 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:21 am

HuntrRose wrote:ok.. so.. unless someone knows that it doesnt work I want to try the manual connect option that comes up when contacting the master server times out..

what would that IP:port be?

IP and Port is whatever the person who is hosting a game is.

Someone will have a create a game and give you the port and IP address. When you create a new game, it will show you the IP and Port you can give out to others to connect to you, (You'll need DMZ Enabled on your router).

I can create a game for you to connect to tonight, but I'm stuck at work til 5pm CST. So maybe I can get online around 6.

Xiden
Developer

Post#47 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:22 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
HuntrRose wrote:hmm.. error contacting master server is what Im getting...

Hmmm, I honestly have no idea why you would get that error. The master server is still running at the same address it was back in the day so no special settings are even required for it. Wish I could suggest something but I'm at a loss.

I know for me sometimes it takes a few tries to get the Master Server to connect. Other times it connects instantly, just kinda random. Maybe this is something that needs to be looked at by Shu :) Maybe we can make a new fresh master list :D

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#48 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:55 pm

I've only tried like 6 times total.. maybe I'll catch it one of these days.. :lol: but failing that I'm hoping to have luck that way..

4x4 is the game I was most interested in trying after Q3A...

Shuouma
Developer

Post#49 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:59 pm

Xiden wrote:I know for me sometimes it takes a few tries to get the Master Server to connect. Other times it connects instantly, just kinda random. Maybe this is something that needs to be looked at by Shu :) Maybe we can make a new fresh master list :D

Yeah as I can see if you use Dreampi and the DNS server preconfigured (46.X.Y.Z):
master.4x4evolution.com -> master5.4x4evolution.com should be resolved
to the same working IP.

But if that doesn't work or you don't use (46.X.Y.Z) as your primary DNS, the only two
hostnames that are resolved correct:
master1 and master2.4x4evolution.com.

Therefore sometimes you need to wait until it times out on (master3,4,5) and hits either master1 or master2.

This happens to me because I'm to lazy to add all master servers to my own DNS server.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#50 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:08 pm

Yeah, the missing addresses were added to Kazade's DNS server a while back per my suggestion so anyone with DreamPi should connect right away. That's why I don't get why some people are having an issue with it. It always finds the master server right away for me.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live