New method for connecting Dreamcast!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Re: New method for connecting Dreamcast!

Post#11 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:44 am

If your house has phone jacks but you don't use your land line for anything anymore, you could essentially hook one end of the phone line simulator up to where the phone company's line would come into your house and the other end up to a computer or router like is shown here that is set up to share your broadband. At that point you could plug your DC into any phone jack in the house and make the call to your router... your own personal, in-house, dial-up ISP.

That would be a pretty sick setup! Then you would be able to connect Dreamcast to any phone jack in the house. This will have the same effect as an RJ-11 splitter. Just remember though that on the other end it would still be connected to only 1 line on the Netopia device so you wouldn't be able to connect multiple Dreamcasts simultaneously unless you have two or more separate phone lines wired through your house.

Also on the note of phone line simulators; the Netopia supports 3 different ring patterns which are indicated on page 79 of the user manual. So it shouldn't be an issue if your phone line simulator is from a region other than North America.

Here is a photo of my Teltone TLS3 phone line simulator:

Regards,
brourke228

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#12 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:46 pm

There's 4 netopia r2020's on ebay for $40 each w/ shipping if anyone's interested. http://cgi.ebay.com/NETOPIA-R2020-Dual- ... 4aa8ef2923
Regards,
brourke228

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#13 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:38 pm

BTW this setup will also connect the Sega Saturn netlink browser if anyone is interested. I have my dreamcast wired through the phone port of my netlink adapter right now so i can connect both. Its nice to be able to back up saturn saves via email :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngofhV3B_vQ[/youtube]
Regards,
brourke228

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#14 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Out of curiosity I just connected my PC to my netopia router the same way and my Dreamcast is and tested the bandwidth. It reported 35Kbps down / 24Kbps up from this website - http://testmy.net/ . So I think either the Dreamcast modem really sucks or perhaps more likely, the Dreamcast browser I was using was affecting the bandwidth test. In any case this connection seems to be better than I thought originally.
Regards,
brourke228

Warrior X
noob

Post#15 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:33 pm

Brourke
Sent you a PM with a question...thanks!

TacT
Uber

Post#16 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:05 am

Are there any other similar model # Netopia Modem Routers that will work for this too?

it's still thinking.

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#17 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:13 pm

brourke228 wrote:
Kaizoku ChaosStar wrote:I have a broadband modem that works as both router and phone line (Don't know the exact name. Let's just say that this router/modem makes me able to connect phones to phone line outputs throughout the house, as well as Internet service).

If Netopia isn't strictly neccesary, can I use this instead?

That sounds like a DSL modem. Just because there is a phone line on it doesn't mean it has a 56k modem inside of it. It could also be a DSL or ISDN modem.

I was just doing some more research and there is a company called Ramp Networks (now part of Nokia) which makes this type of router as well.

Now that makes me wonder about my Motorola VT1005v Thats just sitting as a dust collector. Mine is a stand alone unit that you plug into a router or modem. I wonder if it would have the same outcome ?

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#18 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:30 pm

TacT wrote:Are there any other similar model # Netopia Modem Routers that will work for this too?

The only two 56k routers that Netopia made were the R2000 and R2020. They're both pretty much the same, except hte R2020 has 2 internal modems, whereas the R2000 has one. The R2020 seems to be much more common than the R2000 though, which is good.

There are other Manufacturers that made 56k routers. The only other one I've tested is the 3com 56k lan modem, which won't work for this application because you can't set a default gateway. Basically you need an analog 56k router which allows dial-in access and also allows for a default gateway to be set on the LAN side so you can connect it to your broadband router and have traffic between your WAN and the dial up client on the 56k router.

madmax2069 wrote:Now that makes me wonder about my Motorola VT1005v Thats just sitting as a dust collector. Mine is a stand alone unit that you plug into a router or modem. I wonder if it would have the same outcome ?

I just looked that up and it appears to be a phone adapter. That isn't the same thing thats being used here. Phone adapter is used to connect telephony devices to voip service. The netopia router on the other hand has nothing to do with voice service, it is a router with a 56k modem inside of it. Depending on how you set it up you can have it dial out on demand for dial up service that is shared between the PC's connected to it's LAN ports, or it will do the reverse, as I have it set up here, and allow a dial up client to access your LAN and broadband internet.
Regards,
brourke228

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#19 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Yeah, i know what it is and what its uses are, and i know what a phoneline simulator is (which is what i was comparing it to, not to the netopia) . People has hacked these VT1005v units to either unlock to use them on another service or to use them in how they want to use them. the device is capable of generating the proper signals for a phone to work, whats keeping me from hacking it to where its nothing more then a generic P.L.S. .

ProClerk
shadow

Post#20 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Awesome! :D