New method for connecting Dreamcast!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Re: New method for connecting Dreamcast!

Post#31 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Try changing the ip address of the ethernet port of your laptop to 192.168.2.1 and the netopia's ip address to 192.168.2.2 . Set the default gateway for the netopia to 192.168.2.1 . I don't think you need a default gateway for the ethernet port on your laptop. You can probably use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask for both netopia and laptop ethernet port. Then just bridge the wireless to your ethernet port. I think that should work.
Regards,
brourke228

Egregore
core

Post#32 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 pm

I linked to this on Sega-16. I think it would be good to raise awareness of this method, maybe it would get more people interested in online games on Dreamcast.

Lakster37
shadow

Post#33 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:52 pm

brourke228 wrote:Try changing the ip address of the ethernet port of your laptop to 192.168.2.1 and the netopia's ip address to 192.168.2.2 . Set the default gateway for the netopia to 192.168.2.1 . I don't think you need a default gateway for the ethernet port on your laptop. You can probably use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask for both netopia and laptop ethernet port. Then just bridge the wireless to your ethernet port. I think that should work.

Just a note, at least for the way that Windows 7 uses a bridged connection, you can only set a static IP for the bridged connection itself. If you try to bridge the connections of something that you've already set for a static IP, it just won't work - won't let you bridge it.

Anyways, I decided to go ahead and try connecting the Netopia to the router and... same story: with PlanetKey 3 it calls to the Netopia which acts like its connected to the internet, but ultimately it isnt able to "look up the name" of the host. I then decided to try the only online game I currently have, Quake III. When I load it up, it says that it successfully connects and starts to search for servers on the masterlist, but it doesn't find anything and automatically disconnects after about 10 seconds. I thought it might be because the Master List server is down, so I downloaded Dr DNS with the redirect for the DC-Talk Master list (as posted in another topic here) and it still can't find anything after searching and auto-disconnects. Also, the Dr DNS window doesn't do anything when I used my computer's IP as the Primary DNS on QIII, it just stays on "The Doctor's Office is Now Open" and doesn't act like it's redirected anything like in the screenshots for the PSO guide I saw.

Finally, I tried setting up my own QIII Arena server on my laptop just to see if I could connect to that, but when it starts to search for servers and I press X to cancel and go to "More" to try to manually type in the IP for the server, it again disconnects after about 10-20 sec, not giving me enough time to really do anything.

I guess my questions now are: is it SUPPOSED to auto-disconnect like that if it can't find any servers on the master list? And Dr DNS IS supposed to tell me that it's redirected my Dreamcast's request to the original master list to the DC-Talk IP, isn't it? Why might it not be?

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#34 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:18 pm

All of the dctalk servers are down at the moment. So you won't connect to them. Try using a web browser or pso to connect to the shipgate and/or bluecrab's ship. Another reason you might not be getting internet to Dreamcast is that your laptop may have a firewall blocking it. Since the netopia is going through your laptops connection, anything blocked on your laptop will be blocked on netopia and dreamcast.
Regards,
brourke228

Warrior X
noob

Post#35 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:18 am

OK, after many weeks of personal effort and frustration Brourke and I took a few hours tonight and figured out what the hang up was with my Netopia/TLS3 setup and I am VERY HAPPY to say we connected to the PSO server and Im ONLINE!!!

This setup worked great once we solved my computer hang up. The Netopia is running a BB connection off the TLS3 phone lines connected to the DC. now Im looking at the TV while my Char sits on the Vega ship getting ready to start a game of PSO Online.

Thank you very much Brad, genius in my book! very patient with me as I know just enough about most all this stuff to screw it up somehow:)

Now back to some Rappy slayin...online style!

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#36 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:35 pm

I just added a note at the end of the guide for tls3 users. Note, you don't need to use the tls3, but most people seem to be using that as their phone line simulators so I figured I would include a bit on that.
Regards,
brourke228

nnorton44
Doom

Post#37 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Could I use this phone line simulator?

LOGENEX INNOVATIONS LOGENEX INNOVATIONS TBG2 Phone line simulator
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6222606802P?ci_sku=SPM6499621702&ci_src=14110944&i_cntr=1329780432494&sid=IDx20101019x00001a

It is $45 shipped, or is there a better/less expensive model?

"Phone Line Simulator TBG-2
Brochure/Specifications | Installation Diagram
Not everyone subscibes to a land line telephone provider and for those who don’t we have the solution when installing a TeleDoorBell system. The TBG-2 module telephone line simulator module connects the TeleDoorBell system to the RJ45 phone jacks already installed in the premises. Now, by simply pluging in any corded or cordless phone you are connected to your TeleDoorBell system and all its functions.* *Remote dial up and call forward not enabled."

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#38 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:34 am

I'm not sure, probably not though. It has RJ45 ports, most phone lines (and phone line simulators) use RJ11 which is the standard phone connector. Also it says that that thing is used with a doorbell. I'm not entirely sure what its for.
Regards,
brourke228

JamesFC
shadow

Post#39 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:01 am

Amazing mate - Extremely like it!

fatman01923
noob

Post#40 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Thanks a lot man for discovering this method. :D