New method for connecting Dreamcast!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

CheckerboardMeowstic
noob

Re: New method for connecting Dreamcast!

Post#201 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:45 pm

I have a question, my router is on the second floor of my house and my Dreamcast will be in my basement, is there a way to connect to the modems wirelessly?

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#202 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:27 pm

Yeah, to make this setup wireless you will need to get a wireless network bridge like the one here: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Universal ... ork+bridge .

Alternatively, if you have an old router you could install the custom router firmware dd-wrt on there to turn your old router into a wireless network bridge http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge.

And a third option would be to use internet connection sharing through a computer which has wifi.
Regards,
brourke228

CheckerboardMeowstic
noob

Post#203 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Thank you! Sadly, you won't be seeing me on the Dreamnet (I made that up) for a while, as the stuff I need to get internet set up this way is pretty spendy, but your advice will be extremely helpful in the future! Thanks again! :D

sd31117
noob

Post#204 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:50 am

Thanks for the very in-depth guide! However, I have recieved my Netopia Router (R2000), and it doesn't work. When I turn it on, all the lights go on as usual, but then they go away and just the LAN light is on (for my PC). I go to Command Prompt, and i type IPConfig, and I do not get a default gateway, or a normal IPV4 address. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#205 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:42 am

Start with resetting the router...it does not hurt at this point.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

sd31117
noob

Post#206 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:21 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:Start with resetting the router...it does not hurt at this point.

Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty sure I did reset the router, but am I supposed to hold the button down for a certain amount of time, or am I supposed to just press it? I've tried both, and neither work.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#207 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:57 pm

On my Netopia router, I had to "short" it. Really weird being there is nothing in my manual other than "call Netopia tech support" for hardware reset of the router.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

sd31117
noob

Post#208 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:16 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:On my Netopia router, I had to "short" it. Really weird being there is nothing in my manual other than "call Netopia tech support" for hardware reset of the router.

Yeah, so I reset it, and the same thing is happening. I have no clue what's wrong. :?

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#209 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:25 am

Looking at netopia routers and when i search for the r2020/r2000/r2121 its points me to r3100 r5300 r7100 but, especially the r7100, looks near identical to the ones pictured in the guide. Will they work? They have the two phone jacks on the back

EDIT: i see its a dsl port now. Why can i not find any of these on ebay or the internet in general at all?
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#210 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:19 am

Yea only the netopia r2XXX have modems in them. They're generally hard to find just because they are very old at this point. I haven't found any other similar device yet that can do the same thing, other than a PC paired with a phone sim. The requirement is to have an analog router which can accept dial-in calls and can also route data through a gateway address, ie your broadband router. That way you can switch from dial up to broadband.
Regards,
brourke228