PC-DC server on Vista/Win7/XP etc. (Sort of)

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Dr. Pariolo
Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Re: PC-DC server on Vista/Win7/XP etc. (Sort of)

Post#41 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:41 pm

That program is easy. You just open it and select an area to record.

For video editing and setting the voice over, i recommend Corel Video Studio.

Its very efficient and intuitive.

luso_dreamcaster
dark night

Post#42 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:51 pm

brourke228 wrote:
luso_dreamcaster wrote:
brourke228 wrote:I could maybe. I don't know any programs that record on-screen video though. Anyway what part of the guide are you having trouble with?

i didnt start yet i want to know first what i need (material) to do this.

Well as far as materials go. All you'll need is a dreamcast, a modem, and if you have a "B" modem you will also need to build a line inducer. Other than that I listed everything on the first page of this topic that you need. I'm gonna try and make a video, but it might take a while because i'm unfamiliar with this program.

i have 3 pal modem's 33k and ends with A :P
goin to buya 56k from a friend

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#43 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:58 pm

It does not matter that you're using a 33k modem because a PC-DC server is gonna run at about 33k max anyway its limited by your PC's modem upstream capability, which is usually 33kbps. Unless you have a v92 modem then the max is about 48kbps i think for upstream. Either way it will not make a large enough difference to matter. Dreamcast online games have more demand for latency than a fast connection speed. So, I wouldn't bother buying another modem if I were you.
Regards,
brourke228

luso_dreamcaster
dark night

Post#44 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:25 pm

brourke228 wrote:It does not matter that you're using a 33k modem because a PC-DC server is gonna run at about 33k max anyway its limited by your PC's modem upstream capability, which is usually 33kbps. Unless you have a v92 modem then the max is about 48kbps i think for upstream. Either way it will not make a large enough difference to matter. Dreamcast online games have more demand for latency than a fast connection speed. So, I wouldn't bother buying another modem if I were you.

this guide works for usb modems?

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#45 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:37 pm

Yes it does. Through vmware, linux cannot tell the difference between a PCI modem, serial modem, usb, etc. It just thinks you're using a serial modem regardless.
Regards,
brourke228

luso_dreamcaster
dark night

Post#46 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:49 pm

brourke228 wrote:Yes it does. Through vmware, linux cannot tell the difference between a PCI modem, serial modem, usb, etc. It just thinks you're using a serial modem regardless.

im on the part "VMware Player Free Product Download"
but theres a lot of downloads what i choose? :S

-Dreamcast will never die! Keep Dreaming!

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#47 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:01 pm

You just want vmware player for windows. Unless you are using a different operating system. It should be fairly obvious which download link it is just read through them

Also, I'm uploading a 3pt video of myself going through this guide. There are no subtitles though because i'm loo lazy to add them. So yeah, if you have trouble just ask. But everything I'm did in it is in this guide and ryochan's.

Its 3 parts and taking 108min per part so.. this will not be on youtube for another ~5 and a half hours.
Regards,
brourke228

Kingbuzzo
lithium

Post#48 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:45 pm

I was looking to make a noob friendly guide too. However, I'd like to troubleshoot different modems as well as different values for the line voltage simulator.

Otherwise, making a guide for a Rev A modem would be the best route.

My USR Performance Pro 5610c PCI modem would not make a connection for some reason. But the Zoom usb 3095 works great with rev A + voltage.

CrunchBang Linux might be a good distro to use a guide with instead of ubuntu 8.10.

For one its up to date and mgetty works fine, Ubuntu based with lots of support, and is extremely lightweight for those running a vm on some older hardware, or linux on their low powered laptops like me :p

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#49 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:08 pm

Well you can use the newest version of ubuntu, it works just fine. But yeah, i wanted something more lightweight and i had this disc lying around so I used 8.10.

And this video "guide" I'm uploading is pretty bad. It just shows how to set up the PC-side and I didn't edit it so its long. I don't have an actual video camera to show anything else. And I was too lazy to add any narration. lol If you want to make a better video guide let me know and ill replace it. But for now i'll just upload this. And I'll put it on the main page of this topic once I get it all onto youtube.
Regards,
brourke228

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#50 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:02 pm

I have the walk-through / "guide" on how to set this up on the PC on the first page of this topic now. It has no narration and no subtitles. So I don't know if its really gonna help at all, but regardless its there.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2427
Regards,
brourke228