PC-DC server on Vista/Win7/XP etc. (Sort of)

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Kaizoku ChaosStar
core

Re: PC-DC server on Vista/Win7/XP etc. (Sort of)

Post#291 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:42 pm

I just got online with the Ubuntu setup with my Trendnet TFM-560X modem, after having used Windows 98 setup with no luck for playing games online. I'm using a USB to serial cable between PC and modem. This setup makes it so that I can use this serial based modem as a USB modem and avoid the serial port part. Ryochan seems to go for serial port, but I am perfectly fine surfing using this as any USB modem.

Gnome-PPP didn't do me any good trying to detect the modem using the serial port COM option. Then I went to connect as USB device and no luck there either. Problem this time was access being denied to all the ports being searched, so I tried using sudo and went like this: "sudo gnome-ppp" this worked for me.

PS! If using modem connected by USB the detection will most likely give you "ttyUSB0", unless you have other USB devices conencted, then it might have a different number at the end. I think PCI and serial connected modems will use "ttyS0". If your modem can't be detected it's not necessarily because it's not there. Just see which connection option you're using and use the above accordingly throughout the setup. Increase the number at the end if nothing happens, though never above the amount of devices you have connected to Ubuntu in serial or USB fashion.
Connection! Hooray!!!

Sarger
shadow

Post#292 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:44 am

I think I'm going to attempt this in a few months. Can I use a USB 56k modem and still connect to the 33k modem inside the dreamcast? I can't find a 33k modem for a good price.

I don't need to use vmware as I already use Linux- score.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#293 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Connecting to a 56k modem is fine as long as it is supported by whatever your hardware/software combo is.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

zooksman
noob

Post#294 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:53 pm

I think the main guide is a little messed up in one area. If you have a model A modem, that means you don't need voltage, whereas a model B modem DOES need voltage. Am I correct?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#295 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:40 pm

Correct.

I use the model A modem and I never needed to add voltage to the phone line.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

zooksman
noob

Post#296 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:03 pm

Thanks. And will any serial modem work with a model B? What about with a serial to USB adapter?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#297 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:18 pm

Simply, without some type of voltage for the DC model B modem to use, nothing will work. If you have phone line voltage from either the PC dial-up modem or power injection, then at that point it depends on the modem's ability.

Explanation:
I have an internal modem that worked (fax modem) - until my HDD blew up. I hear most people used an external modem, some were USB. From what I understand, the softmodems (Winmodems) are not the best choice.

I do not know if anyone had any luck with a softmodem, but I recommend avoiding them if possible.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#298 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm using a USB to serial cable between PC and modem

Ryochan seems to go for serial port, but I am perfectly fine surfing using this as any USB modem

Gnome-PPP didn't do me any good trying to detect the modem using the serial port COM option

Sounds like here you're trying to connect the modem directly to the virtual machine. Not sure if the trendnet is a hardware modem. But if its not that might be part of your problem. You're better off connecting to usb with the drivers installed on windows, search for "phone and modem" in windows and using the com port its assigned to. I found that directly mounting it to the usb of the virtual machine doesnt work for software modems due to extremely out of date drivers for linux. Without drivers it wont detect

I don't need to use vmware as I already use Linux- score.

I think you'll have a harder time trying to get the drivers functioning properly than setting it up in vmware through a virtual com port

If you have a model A modem, that means you don't need voltage, whereas a model B modem DOES need voltage. Am I correct?

Yes and no. Yes others say that model A doesnt need voltage but a few others and myself set everything up but got "no carrier" due to no voltage even on model A. But as far as i know, even if you get online with no voltage the speeds will be really slow for some games without voltage. I think 22kb/s but thats just a guess. Voltage would bump it up a bit.

In short:

USB softmodem with windows drivers installed and assigned to the com port of the virtual machine

Most softmodems are conexant. Trying to install the outdated drivers on a new linux kernel is more difficult than using vmware/virtualbox

You're better off making voltage inducer at the start to take care of speed and connectivity issues. If it doesnt connect with voltage its your virtual machine

Hope i helped anyone trying to do this. Goodluck
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Kaizoku ChaosStar
core

Post#299 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:30 am

I've gotten it to work now. Using the Trendnet as USB modem with a serial-to-USB cable.
Connection! Hooray!!!

T0biasCZe
noob

Re: PC-DC ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;server on Vista/Win7/XP etc. (Sort of)

Post#300 » Tue May 18, 2021 5:00 pm

I have internal dialup modem, it runs fine on the windows, but in the linux in virtualbox it doesnt detect the modem